1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Keep us updated. I am observing the same phenomena as you and will take it to TASS in March when the yearly servicing comes up.

I'm pretty sure it's related to EGR / ECU mapping but trying to explain that to TASS is a big deal.
  2. sandengg

sandengg

LUDHIANA
    Better performance after replacing inlet manifold

Friends,

I would like to share that some time ago, i also faced the issue of sudden loss of power in 5th Gear at speeds more than 80.Pressing throttle would not have any affect on the engine and the engine would start misfiring as if diesel is finished.Some time later I would see huge white smoke in the rear view mirror after which i stopped and found the indeed it is my car giving that high white/bluish smoke.I then turned off engine and again started,everything was fine.This happened few times when car was run approx 8000 KM and later on did not surface.I visited dealership but I think they had no clue and rather informed me that probably water is mixed in diesel and advised me to get tank filled from good fuel station.But I was not convinced with this answer as the problem occurred only after 2000 RPM.The question is - why would bad diesel cause problem only after 2000 RPM.Now car has run approx 19000 KM and this missing problem has not recurred

Few days back I noticed that there is a GAP between the Inlet Manifold and Intercooler Outlet Pipe.
    The gap was due to a bend in the Intercooler Pipe which is metallic.
    Now due to this gap, the metal insert in the manifold was pulled out as seen in the attached photos.
    Matter reported to FIAT who arranged new Manifold at dealership.
    When old manifold was removed, I could not believe how badly it was clogged (see photos).
    Whether these deposits were carbon or dust is not sure.
    Dealer Mechanics says it is carbon and not dust.
    There was good amount of oil also in the Intercooler pipe.
    New Manifold and New Intercooler Pipe was fitted after which the engine has become smoother and eager to gain RPM's,Earlier the engine would feel much strained and lacked torque post 1500 RPM.In fact I had become used to driving at less than 1500 RPM only.
    But now the engine quickly reaches 2000 RPM and swiftness can be observed.
    Still I feel that Intercooler should also be cleaned for still better performance as a oil would have definitely clogged Intercooler also.
    The source of oil in the Intercooler pipe is not clear,dealer mechanics removed turbo inlet pipe and checked play and reported turbo as OK.I dont know whether the source of oil leak is from turbo or from the blowby pipe.Dealer mechanics do not seem to have a clue and say that this much amount of oil is normal.

But one thing I feel and strongly recommend is - Inlet Manifold/EGR cleaning during every service.
    Also I do not agree to the presence of any foreign particle - be it dust or carbon as Inlet Area is supposed to contain only and only clean/filtered air.

Other Punto/Linea owners may also please check the condition of this manifold to intercooler pipe joint.

PHOTO 2 CLOSE VIEW.jpg PHOTO 6 METAL INSERT DISLODGED.jpg PHOTO 7 INTERCOOLER PIPE FLANGE BENT.jpg PHOTO 3 INLET MANIFOLD VIEW1.jpg PHOTO 8 NEW INLET MANIFOLD VIEW1.jpg
    6 people like this.
  3. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Thanks for the post. This is the exact problem that I had faced, however, it hasn't yet repeated. I will refer to your pics and check under my car's bonnet.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I too faced power issues while overtaking on highways and lot of black smoke. I was given a reconditioned TURBO under EW and now no issues on overtaking.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    The intake manifold looks horribly warped. Clearly a defect. The carbon inside is the normal ones. Carbon from EGR recirculating exhaust gases + oil vapours from blowby gases create a greasy substance in the intake manifold. Its better to clean the EGR and intake once after every 25k kms.
    1 person likes this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Why a reconditioned one? You should not have accepted it.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  7. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today I felt horrible when I was riding the elevated expressway in Hosur Road. With the music on and the AC (switched on while entering the expressway) on, I shifted to 5th Gear. The RPM was around 1400 (usual thing I do) and the felt that the engine was struggling to breathe like an Asthma patient. Then after 30 seconds I downshift to 4th gear and then to 5th gear. This time too it was looking the same but suddenly felt a surge in power and car started to zip like that some outside force was used. Then I didn't feel anything like the same while shifting between gears.

After 25 minutes or so while overtaking a truck in the same 5th gear and my meter was clocking at 70kmph, I just pumped the brake as the truck was turning a bit right but I didn't reduce the speed as I was almost completing the overtake maneuver. This time too I felt that the power has fallen down but the RPM was above 1500. But after that too I didn't feel anything while shifting gears.

The only thing unusual when I started the car was my wife switched on the radio within a minute (usually I say her to switch on once I cross 20KMPH). Is that a culprit in this power up and down all of a sudden?
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Are you serious? Do you shift gears at 1500 rpm? If so you are seriously lugging the engine.
    Our cars are fitted with a turbo charger, and if you dont keep it in turbo band, you will feel lack of power throughout.

Always upshift at 2500 rpm +/- 200 rpms depending on the terrain.

If you shift below 2000 rpm on punto obviously it will feel like Asthama Patient as you are simply choking its neck and not allowing your car to breathe.
    4 people like this.
  9. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What is unusual here buddy? :confused: I usually turn on the music player / radio even before moving the car during the engine idle time.
  10. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    It appears Punto has become heavy or heavier these days, refuses to move on or feels like its not responding to the pedal this is without AC if i switch on AC car stalls and stops i have to switch off and then crank the engine to start, I have to get this thing checked during the upcoming service this weekend..