1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Harshad M J

Harshad M J Timido

Trivandrum
    I faced this problem for the first time yesterday even at 2500 rpm in 3rd there was lack of power even in 1 st the car was hesitant to pull drove for couple of kmms and switched off. When restarted it was back to normal would like to know the cause air filter/ EGR?
  2. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Even i have a similar experience. Wanted to overtake a bus at 60-70 kmph. downshifted to 4th and started accelerating. Suddenly the car felt underpowered. I could not overtake the bus. The F.E dropped by 50%. i suspected bad fuel and as per the suggestion from fellow fian varun, i used stp injector cleaner. after hundred of kilometers i got the power back. even sometimes i experience the power loss for a minute or two. Now the F.E is acceptable when driven below 2000 rpm. Once i cross 2000 the F.E drops severly. Also engine sounds too boomy...
    @asif can i disconnect the egr on my own? Is it a diy kinda job?
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    severely means i would say frm 2000RPM to 2500 RPM you should get mileage from 19 to 21 on a striaght highway.if its going below 18 then its worry.

check for engine mount,when i got the same problem i asked them to check for engine mount and also got EGR valve cleaned at the same time,but not sure the boomy sound was resolved due to the EGR cleaning or the engine mount.
    1 person likes this.
  4. I guess 25k or 30 K kms once,check out egr cleaning thread.
  5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

That is an Overkill for sure.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    When you suspect bad fuel just unscrew the bottom part of the diesel filter. Drain the dirt and you are good to go. Empty the tank and fill good fuel. MJD engines are sensitive to fuel qualtiy.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Maruti has schedules service of 30 K Kms once, I have done it when it was 42 K kms and whole manifold was filled with carbon.
    Recently The black got EGR and manifold cleaned at 36 K kms, you can see his post about it with pictures.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I have this power loss and loss of pick up on the 75HP. A casual examination by Tensingh and co suggests a faulty oil separator. Btw, this is not a sudden loss of pickup but permanent loss. I also see some oil deposits on the turbo outlet hose clamp.

Sent from my Cynus T2 using Tapatalk 2
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    EGR cleanup at 15k/ 1 year is not a bad idea at all.

Most of us spend a lot of time stuck in <10kmph traffic. That really screws up a lot of things on the engine.
    1 person likes this.
  10. ajuvignesh

ajuvignesh Amatore

Chennai, Kanyakumari, Trivandrum.
    Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yeah I get less than 18 but not always.... Last time the city mileage was 6.8. :( , the worst mileage seen by my car. Its the car which returned 29.x kmpl once and 25-27 at highways always. Tomorrow I am going for a short trip. Lets see whats the F.E that my car is going to return.