1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. puchoo

puchoo Regolare

Delhi / Shimla
    Been trying to locate one myself everytime i visit the workshop , the one above is for the 1.3 MJD which they have hung all over the workshop but nothing for the T-Jet

2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    I guess most steps would be common except for a couple which are specific to the MJD
  3. Hi everyone,

I have changed old air filter cover with new modified one and there was leakage from turbo hose which has been fixed. Now I have driven 1100 kms after it. Till now not faced powerloss problem. I think leakage of air from airfilter housing could be one of the reasons which creates this problem although it is not mentioned in the chart which I have uploaded few days earlier. vIjAy_kHaSa also solved his problem by changing his airfilter cover. check his post on first page of thread after reading his post only I decided to change my cover too. Its reasonable at Rs 165 only. Now I hope it never comes again.
    prabhjot and Rituraj like this.
  4. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    Its nothing. Its just the EGR valve. My vehicle was kept at Fiat dealer for one month and final thing diagnosed was the EGR valve.
  5. keyur patel

keyur patel Timido

jamnagar, gujarat
    jamnagar
    Grande Punto 1.2
    hi all,
    I purchased fiat punto active 1.2 diesel in May-2014, I have also completed my first service after 5000KM, now I am not getting good pick up on highway & also getting less mileage around 16 km.
    please suggest me what to do.
    during overtaking any vehicle I need to think twice because of less pick up & it is misguiding my judgement.
    regards,
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @keyur patel You own 1.3 Diesel or 1.2 FIRE Petrol Punto?
    By looking at 16km/l mileage, I am guessing it Diesel. If yes, please correct your profile as well.

Have you started feeling this pick-up issue after servicing? Do you have details what all things were done in servicing, normally, nothing needs to be done in first servicing.
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Just when I had thought that this problem is now history, it shows its ugly face again. I hadn't faced this powerloss issue since the month of May. However, today, while on a longish drive, the car lost all power and only barely moved forward. No matter which gear, the rpm just refused to go beyond 1400-1500. As always, the only temporary fix was to stop and start back. It just happened once during the entire drive, but I am sure it's going to get worse from here on. I just shudder thinking of those times in the past when the car had to be stopped and started back every 40-50 kms.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Rituraj, can you please check the turbo hoses once. The clip must have come loose. When you open the bonnet, looking from top towards the bottom right. I think the local mech. could also help. Also, possible that some turbo pipe might have ruptured making this problem sudden or intermittent.
    prabhjot and Rituraj like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Rituraj,

Have you ever diagnosed with the electrical system of your car ? When was the battery changed ?

In my punto i have seen the power loss in lower gears were engine try to die completely, my initial thought was to change the Clutch. During this thought of Clutch replacement i found that the battery was giving up hence changed the battery first and all sudden i found that the jerks in lower gears completely vanished.Actually my bro also drive my punto he was also surprised about the jerks have gone completely.

Check the battery and alternator once as you have done all the possible diagnose related to the mechanics.
    Rituraj and prabhjot like this.
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Ya, had done that once back in 2012 at TASS. The battery in my car is still the original one.