1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Red90hp

Red90hp

Bangalore
    Sure avnsiva.. I will do it soon.. perhaps over the long weekend..
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Does the engine check light come on with EGR disconnected?
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I am also somewhat convinced that it is related to the fuel pump/ rail and bad fuel quality only aggravate this issue.
    I did all check possible egr, intake manifold , turbo hose, air filter, change of fuel station etc, but when I attached the race chip the problem vanished !! Got better mileage also.

Tested in a 200 km drive each with and without the chip fitted. With race chip no hesitation or any performance issue , also git 23.5 kmpl.
    Also when i was facing the performance loss issue there was too much engine pulling/ braking whenever i release the accelerator.
    that problem is also gone.
    As the chip just tweaks the sensor input to ecu so that it increases more pressure/ fuel in the rail and the duration, I am inclining towards the logic that it is related to the fuel pump / rail as "bhai" posted in his post earlier.
    however i understand that there are many other parts/sensors which may not be working optimally and another car might experience performance loss for an entirely different issue.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    An update to the issue- Fiat has finally responded. Green Valley Fiat, Guwahati has passed on contact details of a local mechanic, who will supposedly check my car and try to diagnose the issue. Then, on the basis of his inputs and if necessary, they might send a team (remains to be seen) here to Jorhat. This mechanic in reference is apparently someone who owns a garage that used to be a Fiat service center from the pre Tata-Fiat days and is quite experienced in dealing with Palios, Unos et al. I hope he has worked on Puntos as well. Let's see how this goes- will update this thread accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    @Ritu: Light at the end of the tunnel. Please post the findings.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Today being a holiday, I took my car to the mechanic whom I had mentioned about in my previous post. He checked my car for leaks but couldn't find any. He concluded that it could be the fuel pump sensor that could have turned faulty. Thereafter, we had a discussion over phone with the SA at Green Valley Fiat, Guwahati, who opined that if the fuel pump sensor was faulty, the check engine light would have come on, which wasn't the case with my car. Finally, it was concluded that the entire fuel system needed thorough inspection. However, the mechanic wasn't comfortable doing it at his end as the car is still under extended warranty. Now the ball is in green valley fiat's court. I am hoping that they would send a team of experts to my location.

This apart, I got to know something interesting - the garage where I went has applied for being an authorised Fiat service station. I hope and pray Fiat accepts their application. The guy whom I met is very knowledgeable about fiat cars. I could see few palios and Unos lying there. His garage stocks genuine Fiat spares albeit only running spares. Had my car not been under EW, I would have done my 4th servicing there itself.

One positive from the day's events has been that my search for a reliable local mechanic finally ended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    If the fuel pump/rail censor is working but not optimally will there be any error ? I don't think so, hence, my doubt is getting stronger that the culprit is the censor+pump.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ SoumenPaul

If problem is solving after fitting race-chip then injectors may faulty.
    Because when you install race-chip it gives false signal to ECU that injectors are getting low fuel supply.
    Then ECU gives command to injectors to dispense more fuel in combustion chamber & you get gain in performance
    1 person likes this.
  9. Red90hp

Red90hp

Bangalore
    Hi Akshay4384,

Yes the engine light does come on.. And I have not had any problem with the EGR disconnected, drove to Shimoga and back and touched 140+.. No issues..
  10. Hi,
    My problem was somewhat similiar and first noticed it around 500kms, but ignored then noticed approximately once in a month when doing high speeds, but again ignored but recently at 56000kms, this problem got severe when doing high speeds at gurgaon toll road, I just went to local mechanic he said, there is problem in clutch set. I straight away went to FASS told them to check my clutch set. When opened, clutch bearing was attached to pressure plate while opening the clutch set but it should be attached to the cover containing bearing clips, pressure plate & clutch plate were worn out. Changed complete set. Car is working fine, Yesterday I came across this thread and before posting I did 33 kms check run from rajouri garden to Indirapuram, Ghaziabad, I did high speed around 90-100 kms then slowing down to 30-40 kms then suddenly increasing speed to 90 kms. did this 3-4 times to be sure. Touchwood car is working fine no powerloss problem. I think what we guys are referring to powerloss is actually slipping of clutch. In my case problem was in clutch set. I think fiat is using inferior quality clutch sets in cars. Please get your clutch set check. After reading this thread I came to know that some guys are facing this problem since beginning like me and nobody has directed solution towards clutch set,

To be further sure, before posting to this thread I did little survey on internet & this is what I found:-

source:- How to Know if a Car Needs a New Clutch: 3 Steps (with Pictures)

Under Tips (at the bottom of page) section of above link, following is the point that describes problem which people here are referring as powerloss, accelerating but car is not picking up.

" A sure fire way to know your clutch is worn out, select 3rd or 4th gear at around 30Mph/55Kph with the clutch engaged, and open the throttle wide (hit the gas). If your engine starts revving at high RPM and vehicle is not picking up speed, the clutch plate is worn out. The engine overrevs because the clutch does not have enough contact with the flywheel, causing slip."

Hope it helps ;)
    3 people like this.