1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I have the power loss problem for sometime now.
    Recently while travelling from Bangalore to Mysore suddenly my mjd lost all power, pickup speed became like a loaded truck and I struggled to climb speed breaker also !!
    Luckily I was just 4km away from URS cars and I directly visited the Fiat SC.
    Waited for my turn and when the SA took the vehicle for a test drive everything seemed fine, rather it started behaving better than before.
    Puzzled I though may be it is due to some contamination in the diesel which went away, also the SA told me he suspects something to do with fuel supply, air intake or EGR. I left and later on my way back the problem came back but not to that extent.
    I cleaned the EGR, Intake Manifold at KHT Bangalore and also used Abro Injector cleaner for few 100 kms.
    KHT people told there is no problem shown in scanning and everything working just fine.
    But the problem remains. I observed some knocking sound at high rpm too, also the engine is going out of breath soon.
    The pickup is less and vibration is more.
    I am planning to get my car checked at some outside workshop now.
    I doubt the fuel supply pump/rail related issue.
    Could anyone suggest whether a bad fuel filter will cause these kind of issue ?
    Is it advisable to clean the entire fuel supply system including the fuel tank ? Anyone did it or suggest it ?
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I think this common type of problem is related to high pressure fuel pump.(CRi pump)

Sometime fuel pump dispense fuel low pressure. So poor automization of fuel is there.
    But ECU doesn't fire error unless & until fuel pressure doesn't go under its min.limit.
    That's why we face problem of 'Poor performance but no ecu error'.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Bhai you maybe very right, but do you think that diesel filter change and injector service in such a case can help to some extent. Cause if what you are saying is a common fact and I am not suggesting otherwise, then a fuel pump is not a cheap thing to replace, unless car is under warranty. I mean you are pointing towards a major design and manufacturing and testing failure here.

Would you care to elaborate about this discovery as to how you found it, with what tools and/or support or hearsay/discussion from or amongst Fiat technicians..anything. Thanks for the information once again.
  4. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    I think this common type of problem is related to high pressure fuel pump.(CRi pump)

Sometime fuel pump dispense fuel low pressure. So poor automization of fuel is there.
    But ECU doesn't fire error unless & until fuel pressure doesn't go under its min.limit.
    That's why we face problem of 'Poor performance but no ecu error'.[/QUOTE]

Even I think so.
    Also my car drives better when there is last 5-8 litres fuel left in the tank :)
    See post here -> http://www.teamfiat.co.in/minor-iss...es-best-when-i-have-less-fuel.html#post189085

I have also tested Racechip for 1k km and the performance was phenomenal !!

Also last time when I opened the EGR and Air intake manifold it was not that much clogged.
    One more point , KHT suggested me to change the air filter assembly to new one.
    Is there any design change in that ? What is so important in that ? I don't see any complicated technology in that filter and housing.
    Any comment ?

IMG_3309.jpg IMG_3313.jpg IMG_3310.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  5. Red90hp

Red90hp

Bangalore
    Hi,

An update from my side on my car. I got my car from Vecto motors on saturday (had given for EGR replacement).And guess what, a soon as I hit an open road(NICE road) the problem resurfaced! Not even 10 kms from the service centre. The car did not have any boost till 3000 rpm! I was truly furious. I called up the service centre guy and he tells me "its not possible". I somehow kept my cool. I went back and got the EGR disconnected. The service guy told me they did test drives and they could not find any problem. I DO NOT believe them, simple

I want to make this known to all FIAT owners. It pretty pathetic that the problem cannot be solved. They have asked me to leave the car with them again. I am doing that in the last week of April.

Hope its not a design problem. If it is, all FIAT owners and potential buyers should be made aware

I am planning to run the car with the EGR disconnected. I just hope the enigine is not effected.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Well,

I have something to say which might help you out their to some extent.

My car has done 40k kms and still going and I do follow 30-50 sec idling both start n stop. Once in 40k kms I have power loss on overtaking and touch wood I never had again. Probably adulterated fuel. I do experimented with fuel pump and trust me car performance does matter to great extenr due to fuel quality. I never had any so called EGR change or cleaning related to it and I wish I never had to do so in future. I got one IOCL pump that truly feel good for my car and I do feel the power in my punto while driving. Last trial month I got 25-27 kmpl mileage and I too tried the speed upto 165kmph and trust me, my car does make my confidence one step ahead always.

So, essence of my story...

- I do follow idling time at start and stop and avoid any much revv till needle touch the middle area.

- Always try to tank fuel from,the very same IOCL fuel pump.

- Do take my car to highway or some empty stretch to feel its real power and thrust.

- I generally switch gear in between 2000-2300 rpm. But, I do drive once or twice in a month using revv in between 2500-3000rpm just to clear the throat of my car.
    - I do clean air filter every 5k kms of running.
    - I follow the service interval of 10-12k kms instead of 15k. And, that too strictly oil change and filter and nothing else as my car doesnt asked me or complain me about his health related issue :)

Story ends here and if anyone feel bored then I raise apologize for this and if anyone find answer to their long pending question then I would be very much glad to hear it.

Just see if this all point being used by you all too..

Thanks...

Sent from my RM-846_im_india_233 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Not all owners are equally affected by this issue. However, from what I have noticed, if this issue happens for more than one occasion, it tends to be frequent and only gets worse, like in my occasion. I had done everything possible while TASS still attended to Fiat cars - replaced the EGR valve, checked for leaks wherever possible. I religiously idle the car for a minute prior to driving and before turning off and drive it in a sedate manner. The issue has become so bad that now I have to stop and start my car every 40-50 kms.
  8. Red90hp

Red90hp

Bangalore
    Hi Rituraj

Try running the car with the EGR disconnected. Its very easy to do so. I can now do it myself..

I am just trying to gather information the effects on the engine if any with the EGR disconnected. Other than increased pollution... If none, I think I will run my car without the EGR in the picture.. though pollution level will be up... by honestly.. cannot help it..
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I too agree on this, disconnect egr and it might help your case to much extent...

Sent from my RM-846_im_india_233 using Tapatalk
  10. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    Can you post a DIY if we can try this as well?