1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Interesting problem..Since it was just one u can ignore.. btw how old is your car...How much have u run..try cleaning intercooler and egr valve...that really helps... I did that recently a lot of difference post the cleaning

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    may be intercooler and not EGR :) we already had immense technical discussion on the seperate thread of EGR Cleaning.
  3. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yup possible

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
  4. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Loss in power could be attributed to adulterated fuel where did you fill the tank last when you drove in that stretch..
    1 person likes this.
  5. Gopi

Gopi Amatore

Rituraj, Let me share my experience with my Punto recently. But please donot take this to be the only reason. It could be that your car has a completely different issue.

The first issue that started in my car was stalling in signal twice. The first time it stalled, I was not able to start the engine immediately. After 5 minutes, it started when I tried after switching off A/c, music system etc. The second time it started in the first try. My car is 3 years 3 months old. Hence I suspected battery to be the issue and the check on the battery also showed low current. Hence changed the battery.

After changing battery and in a 200km drive to Lepakshi, I also saw this intermittent loss of power twice while driving on the highway. I did not stop, but continued cruising and the problem vanished after 3 or 4 minutes. During local city drive also I noticed loss of power twice, but only for short duration of 2 minutes or so. Going through forum, I saw that it could happen sometimes when we have disconnected battery and the ECU is trying to learn our driving pattern.

Next came a 1500km to my native and back during Christmas holidays. The car behaved like a gem. No power loss or stalling issue. Once I am back, and during a local drive, the engine just stalled and refused to start. F.A.S.S diagnosed this as a ECU failure and replaced ECU under warranty. Now the car is behaving fine since the last 4 days in city.
    You may want to ask the service center to check ECU as well
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Here's an update guys. I took my car to TASS today and got a standard check done. The air filter was cleaned and the fuel filter was checked as well. The air filter was very dirty and it was cleaned. I asked them to replace the same but there wasn't one in stock :A. The ECU scanner was connected and apparently everything showed up fine. After the visit to TASS, I drove for about 50 kms and the power loss issue wasn't felt. No issues with startup too. Need to keep a close watch. Fingers crossed.
    2 people like this.
  7. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    winters in assam are very dusty rituraj, air filter element gets clogged in a month. my guess is with dirty air filter plus adulterated fuel. hope your car is fine
    2 people like this.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Rituraj and Akshay
    IMG_20130115_202909.jpg
    The main difference is in the m middle lock earlier most of times it used to get loose.
    IMG_20130115_203956.jpg
    Also over time the plastic used to change shape see the pic attached. Even the new ones are somewhat curvy but not this much.
    2 people like this.
  9. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Thanks for the pics - really helpful !
  10. asif

asif

Trivandrum
    Me too have the same issue of power loss with ma Linea,once it happens then the car struggles from first gear onwards,it mainly happens when we are doing high speeds.Switch off the engine and turn it on,its back to life again.The issue was with the EGR,has logged a complaint with FIAT,and the technical team will be here in city on monday for resolving some technical issues and will be checking my car too.As per the discussion with some internal sources in TASS it may be an issue of false signal from ECU to EGR.Replacing/cleaning the EGR or flashing the ECU may resolve the issue in my case.The car is running fine now,but the problem pops up if we revv it hard.Dissconecting the EGR is another solution if we are in a hurry and problem doesnt vanish on restarting.Its only a 1 min job,as we have to just unplug a coupler.Just ignore the check engine msg.Its not gonna to hurt our engine.its confirmed by Fiat engineers.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013