1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    The issue still persists and I have stopped taking the car on highway drives. I am now banking on a service camp that Fiat is scheduled to organise here in Jorhat in the first week of April.

I have already change the EGR Valve on my car. That didn't solve the problem. On the contrary, it only gave me a rough-idling issue which wasn't there prior to the EGR replacement.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  2. Sure, will do.. I found this forum last week while looking for assistance on fiat parts.. I will update you with the detailed breakup!
  3. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi @Red90hp,

Shell Diesel is nothing but High Speed Diesel from BP and it is additive mix, the cost is Shell Diesel is same as all other Premium Diesel sold here(BP/IOCL/HP)
    The Shell guys claim that there fuel will gives more mileage becuase of the pre mix additives.
  4. Red90hp

Red90hp

Bangalore
    Thank you Anup, I guess I will go back to normal fuel. The Vecto technician told me yesterday that he has had the same complain with over 15 cars and the EGR replacement has solved it. Hoping it does the same for me.
  5. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You are welcome ::D

Rest assure there will be no further issues after replacing the EGR valve.

Just to give you a little tip, try to clear the deposite from your Exhaust system atleast once a day, that is by revving upto 3.5k RPM until you see grey smoke thowing out from the silencer and do it until the smoke fades away, you can see it on your Rear View Mirror, ofcourse do this whlie driving and not in idealing and your Temp gauge should reach upto the half mark.
    Also do not forget to keep the car ideal for 60 seconds before shutting her off for the day...

I am sure you would know all these as we have spoken a lot over the forum but just giving an heads up...:up
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Not guaranteed bro. I have already replaced the EGR. The problem remains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  7. Red90hp

Red90hp

Bangalore
    Thanks again Anup, I spoke to a friend of mine who works for Toyota, he told me that in case the problem persists even after the replacement, disconnecting the EGR is a good option. However, the FE will come down by 10-15%. Secondly, there might be carbon deposits in the catalytic converter which might need flushing out exactly the way you mentioned (by reving till 3,500 while running).

As per him there will be no damage to the engine, so this was encouraging.. any views on this are welcome :)
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

A sudden noticeable power/torque loss excludes all issues like cleaning air filter, fuel type, EGR... etc. There is definitely minute leakage somewhere which is resulting into power/torque loss. Check for hoses, inter-cooler leakage or some lose fitting. You may get into things like idling or warming up & that's a good practice but those things hardly take you anywhere according to my experience. This is state of the art and we don't have -25 deg. temp here that engine will warm up, so I would suggest not to bother about such things. I never did that in my 80,000 KMs. Without any idling/warming up ever or EGR, Exhaust, injector... removal or cleaning, it's performance is intact. It climbs to those targeted high speeds same way it was used to earlier, same enthusiasm that it had at 5000 KMs & still do without any fuss/drama. I am thinking about doing these cleansing things now though, simply for the sake of proper maintenance rather than an actual need. There could be some 1-2% performance/mileage gain but that's it... I am sure. For 50-60ish kind of city driving, at least I can't derive anything. It would be instantly noticeable though when you check it's top range & it is simply take eternity, there you go for cleanliness.

Pick-up loss is something very serious. In my case, it was Inter-cooler leakage. Change service station/do detailed inspection on a lift/bumper removal but Don't delay it further. It may be harmful to turbo in case it is causing oil leakage which may get into and spoil it or something else.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  9. Anup

Anup Regolare

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3

I DOn't think we have Intercooler. :confused:

There is a Logic behind the 60 second Pre&Post drive idealing and that is because we all use Oil cooled Turbo Engines, the Turbo fans runs 10 times more than the engine RPM so the Rev count is too much inside, when there is a sudden shut down of the Engine the Oil just won't circulate and the Hot oil becomes cold and forms deposit resulting in Turbo Failure, Car manuals for Swift,Safari,i20 all have bolded this warning to keep the car ideal for some time before Shutting the Engine down, this is voluntary advice and not a compulsion because failure of Turbo will attract about 80k for replacement and the damage is known after a long time and not an immediate effect.

Also for startups, we use 5W-40 grade oils which are ideal for Indian Roads however they need some warm up before they can circulate better inside the engine, Fiat Manual does say just start and go but considering the external factors here the Engine oil get polluted real soon and it de grades the quality of the Engine oil little by little, to have the Engine Oil to function properly it should reach to an Optimum Temp to begin, again this is voluntary advice and not a compulsion because as we all have hydraulic tappets there would be instances where in the tappets would work with lubrication of the Engine oil and would result in friction which causes Tappet failure, the effect is not know immediately but after long time and cost involved, well your engine would go for an overhaul so can’t take a bet on the cost.

Regarding the topic on disconnecting the EGR valve, it's purely upto anyone to do, there would be a slight dip in efficiency but it would damage the environment in 2 ways, not just by Exhaust gas but also CO2 emission which we do not have a gauge to measure accurately.
    If replacement of EGR does not solve the problem the then the Turbo unit and it's connecting hoses should be examined if still good then the Cat Convertor is to be targeted because if there is no smooth outflow of the Exhaust gases then you would experience loss of power.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Lol!! Yes we have, Let's spot it where it is. That is like forgetting how many fingers do I have.
    I never said idling or warm up a bad practice (idling etc.)... in-fact it's a good practice mentioned in the FIAT manual too but that doesn't make me do that at all. SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER which was not there last week... cleansing issue are excluded, does it make sense? Again it's very serious issue and should be attended immediately.

Also pls don't be over-afraid with tappet/turbo/engine failure, Human's emotions are magnets to the probabilities, universal Law of attraction... you will make it happen. Just be easy, That is the reason why Easy going people always get it first hand.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014