1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I received a call from the dealer informing that the EGR valve has finally arrived. BTW the order was placed on Sept. 25th. Hope the issue finally gets solved.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Just back from TASS (service for Fiats has been extended till December). The EGR valve was installed and covered under extended warranty. Hope the issue gets solved now. Fingers crossed!
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I went on a longish drive of ~300kms today - the first one since the EGR valve replacement. The powerloss issue remains unresolved. I encountered it twice during the drive. What now?
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rituraj, I need to read the whole thread to get updated.

Can you re-post wrt to the following?

01. Is turbo system working fine i.e. turbo and turbo pipes etc.?
    02. I suppose you have already checked the air filter assembly.
    03. How much has the car done and what model is it? 2009-2010-2011?

Consider disconnecting the negative terminal again for 20-25 minutes once. TFI member nishweth hasn't reported back with the status of his power loss issue since gvikram suggested changing the fuel pump relay. Can it be tried since it costs Rs150 which is worth a try?

Gurjinder's problem was traced to a damaged intercooler pipe. The pipe is prone to damage. I hope you got it checked already.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    1. The turbo system is working fine. Not sure if there is another way to check but the ECU Scanner generates no errors.
    2. Air filter assembly was checked, apparently no issues there.
    3. Mine is a Punto Active MJD 2011 April example. It has run only 11293 kms, mainly due to many issues since the year 2012(startup issues and this powerloss issue), which is why I am not confident of taking it on long drives.

I will try changing the fuel pump relay. Will also check the intercooler pipe.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  6. gvikram7969

gvikram7969 Timido

MH 42
    i TOLD U JUST TRY WHAT I SAID, U WONT BE AT LOSS. you are AGAIN requested to change the fuel pump relay in the fuse box near the battery and the problem will be sorted for ever. if in future you face the same problem just change the fuel pump relay. it costs just 150 bucks. do the needful and reply.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Another update. I took my car to the TASS and here's a list of things that I asked them to do-
    1. I got the fuel pump relay replaced
    2. I got the intercooler pipe checked
    3. The ECU scanner was connected and apparently no errors
    However, I didn't let them open up the turbo as I didn't trust their expertise over this. A problem with the turbo is unlikely as the car has run only 11,600 kms.

The problem remains unresolved and getting worse. Now, even switching off the engine and turning on again doesn't resolve this sudden power loss issue, as I found out on a long drive yesterday. The other day, the car lost power even in the 1st gear, right out of my gate.

I have escalated to Fiat India again. Let's see what happens.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Clean EGR Valve,Intercooler & Inlet manifold.
    If problem repeat replace complete EGR (With Solonoid)
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  9. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    @bhai - The EGR valve was replaced only two weeks back.
  10. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    It really said when user face such issue after continuous repair done and and some other point people too lack confidence in car anymore . I suggest you to approach higher management in FIAT and shout as much louder as you can to get it done or ask them to send any specialize guy to look into this.