1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmmmm. You learn something new every day. Thanks buddy.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

In my case it just fixes itself after sometime.
    Have not noticed this since past few months.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I faced this issue around 2.5 years back when the car suddenly lost power and engine stalled on express way at speed of 110km/hr(Don't remember whether check engine light cam up or not). I slowly pulled the car on the side and restarted and it was fine and no problem till now.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Engine stalling is a serious concern.
    You mean it stalled at 110km/hr?
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I shouldn't have used the word stalled.Sorry for that.

At about 110km/hr suddenly there was check engine light (i remember now). I stopped the car on the side waited for some time, switched off the engine and switched on again and it was gone.This never happened after that (2010).
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Taking my car to the dealership tomorrow for getting this powerloss issue sorted. The problem is getting worse and the issue crops up at every 30kms or so on highway runs. To make matters worse, the local TASS will stop attending to Fiat cars w.e.f Sept.30.
  7. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    Today I also faced the same issue in my linea Mjd, when I switched off and switched on the engine, the car ran fine. Dealer is not able to trace the problem.
  8. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    Hey I too faced problems exactly as yours. There will be a sudden loss of power. Feels like the turbo is coming into its zone post 3500rpm. However, once engine is switched off and on again, everything appears fine.

I was absolutely determined to get this issue solved no matter what come may. When the car was at the service center, they diagnosed it to be a faulty fuel pump. Replaced it, but it was of no avail. Honestly, the service center were absolutely clueless.

Then a mail to Mangesh Kodalkar got the think tanks at Fiat to wake up. He personally called me and took special interest in solving the issue. They had a lengthy discussion with very senior technicians at Fiat HQ.

Later got a call from Vecto motors (Bangalore) saying that they received orders from Fiat to disable the EGR. So now when I start my car, I get 2 warning lights first being Check Engine light and the second being Check Glow plugs. I was told not to worry about these warning lights and continue driving normally and report if I face this issue again.

Since after disabling the EGR I have not yet faced the power loss issue, Fiat engineers have concluded that EGR valve is the culprit here. Will be heading to Service Center this wednesday to fit the new EGR valve.

Sorry for posting such a lengthy post. But my point is wait till this weekend. If I do not face this issue after replacing the EGR valve, may be you can persuade your Service Center to have a more detailed look at this component, or better still, write a mail to Fiat India describing the issue. In turn they might order your SC to look at EGR valve.
  9. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    Hi rohit I have replaced the Egr twice but the problem resurfaced after some time, what is the reason for the EGR to fail frequently.
  10. rohit tunga

rohit tunga Amatore

Bangalore
    Wow I thought Wednesday would be the end of my ordeal but by the looks of it, there is still some way to go.

Well this is just my thoughts. Try disabling the EGR (I think its just a coupler that needs to be removed). Then drive and test if the same issue is faced again. If no, then we need to trace all the components linked to EGR, presumably the Vacuum Accumulator and perhaps the wiring harness and try to determine any flaws there.

My suggestion is to write an absolute stinker of a mail to Fiat India and to Mangesh Kodalkar and lets see how they respond.