1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    This sudden power loss happened twice today. I was doing a highway drive when suddenly the car refused to accelerate. I was doing about 80kmph on 5th gear and 2k rpm. I floored the pedal, but nither did the rpm needle move nor the speedo needle. Shifting down also didn't help. No matter what, I couldn't make the car accelerate. I stopped the car on the side, switched off and started back, after which the problem vanished and the car was normal. Again after about another 50 kms, the issue was back - similar speed, similar rpm and no acceleration - switching off and starting again was the only way to make the car behave in a normal manner. This was the 5th time, I experienced this issue.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Why do I feel that the issue is with your potentiometer on the A pedal? Get that checked.

Rajan
  3. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Not really,a lot of people have got this replaced on their Linea's and Punto's to no avail.
    The powerloss ghost keeps coming back:mad:
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I dont think it has anything to do with the EGR cleaning. My experience of similar issue was in the very early days of Punto, sometime in August 09 when I would have clocked just around 2000 km. I was doing around 80- 90 on the outskirts of chennai when I began to climb a flyover. Suddenly the engine went blank and there was no response from anything. I was frantically exploring instinctively with A pedal and the gears, but it came back within a few seconds.I remember explaining this to a Fiat official in chennai but he could not understand the phenomenon and his answer was vague. Since the problem didnt recur, I left it at that and me now clocking 77k kms without a repeat. I wish FIAT was reading this thread and hope they give a reply for the cause of this issue as is something that just can be replicated and only the extensive testers of Fiat would have experienced it at some stage and would have reported it to Fiat

Abdul
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    If it is not the potentiometer, then I am sure it is the ECU. Aftereffects of detuning for the "Kitna dethi hai" buyer, I think.
    Anyone running remapped MJDs ever faced this issue?

Rajan
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Total power loss and lack of any response is something totally different from what others have been experiencing. In my case, the power delivery turned jerky and the powerband shifted to 2800-3000rpms. After a ECU reset, it was rectified almost 90% but still not what it was earlier.

But total lack of response is something different and needs to be checked out at FASS. Let's see if they can do something.

Cheers.
  7. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Same with my Linea Power band shifts to 3K RPM in my case as well.
    But the climb till 3K is painfully slow,but i must say,i love that feeling at 120km/hr :grin:
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Try re-setting the ECU by disconnecting battery for atleast 15-20 mins. Remove negative first, connect negative last. While battery is disconnected, insert key and switch to MAR and keep it there. Switch off when reconnecting.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Mind explaining the logic, Gurjinder Bhai?

Rajan
  10. gurjinder

Punjab
    To drain the residual charge in the system, even after the battery has been disconnected. I even switched the headlights ON and left it that way for a good 30 mins or so.

Sound principle?

It did work, though.