1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    This happened today. I was driving on the highway and was preparing to overtake a relatively slow moving truck. I had to downshift to 4th and started to undertake the overtaking manoeuvre, when I felt a sudden loss of power. I was doing about 60-70 kmph on 4th and somehow completed the overtaking manoeuvre. Even after that, the loss of power was evident. I later took to a narrow lane and even on 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, the loss of power could be felt, even at around 2000-2500 rpm. At one point, the car felt as if it wouldn't move forward even in 1st gear. I noticed that while revving, the usual engine clatter of the MJD disappeared and the engine sounded different. I pulled over to one side and got down. There was no warning on the console. After starting the car again, everything looked fine and the power loss vanished.

What could be the reason? Is it something just random or something more serious?
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Check Airfilter
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Get the turbo pipes and air filter checked.
    Even I faced this type of power loss couple of times after revving through all the gears vanished after getting the redesigned cover fitted. It was due too leakage of air from cover in my case.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  4. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Thanks, what is this cover that you are referring to?
  5. swgaan

swgaan Amatore

MH-46
    Panvel, Maharashtra
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I don't think the airfilter will be the problem, i guess there will a problem of loose pipe of airline which goes from below the engine, the pipe location is not easily visible through bare eyes. if you are standing front of engine, it's on back, lower bottom of engine,

I hope this will be of help.
  6. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

What cover?
    Air filter cover?
    How is it different?
    Cost?
  7. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    it was only once and not happened second time if it was a leakage it should have been on the second start as well.i feel the MJD was not liking your driving style. ::v
  9. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    From the description you narrated here i feel there is some turbo boost leak. If there is a minor leak engine check light doesnt come up untill the hose pipe bursts totally.
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Until recently I had been having problems starting the engine. The car would just not start at the first attempt. Later the problem vanished automatically. Could this be somehow related to my problem?