1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Substitute for GC upgradation kit.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by varoon9999, Mar 1, 2013.

1. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There was a strange noise for the rear left suspension from last three months and i was juggling to find out what exactly the reason for this noise.Noise was slight CHIN CHIN as if two tools are rubbing with each other and making such sound.This noise use to pop up only when car goes over bumpy surface.Tried all permutations and combinations like taken off stepny from boot for few days,Tool kit was kept away from car,been to TASS 3-4 every time,got rear dead axle bushes greased and all other what i could do.Tried FASS Kashyap motors they too drove car 3-4 times to find out from where the heck this CHIN CHIN is coming from,diagnose was faulty rear left shocker and shocker was taken out and found that there was no leakage no symptoms of shocker to go bad.Thought of getting that shocker change then and there only but some how i was not convinced to put one new shocker as i had some plans to go for GC upgradation kit later this year.

Now comes the business,went to kashmiri gate and visited Agarwal brother shop and asked him he has OEM rear shock absorber. He showed me two of them,one was Chinese make INR 1400 and other was COFAP OEM INR 2200 supplier for FIAT India.Bought the OEM one and paid him INR 2100 (No tax he he he).Agarwal is very old Fiat parts stockist and known in Kashmiri gate,discussed with him about the GC upgradation kit and told me its not worth spending that hefty amount on GC kit.Suggested and adviced very cheap way to upgrade the GC.Showed me rings which can be fixed where suspension mounts on the body of our car.These rings are very solid and rugged by looks.Cost for the same is some where close to INR 600-700(4 pc).Agarwal added that lot of linea and punto fellows are running happily on these rings with improved GC.These rings are tailor-made for Fiat cars.

Today got my rear left shocker changed ahhh and got rid of that irksome CHIN CHIN noise.Local shocker repair fellow changed it and gave him INR 100/- Asked him about the rings for increasing the GC,as per him he keeps putting those rings on the cars which has CNG kit on the boot.He showed me couple of sample for worn out rings.Attaching the pics for the same.

May be we can consider these rings for short time GC upgradtion,not sure if anybody here used it before in any of their car???Is it worth giving a try???

IMG-20130301-00286.jpg

IMG-20130301-00288.jpg

IMG-20130301-00289.jpg

IMG-20130226-00280.jpg

IMG-20130226-00281.jpg

IMG-20130226-00282.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Don't do it.
  3. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    any specific reasons??
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

These are what you call Spacers.
    These are just run off the mill or what you call as Jugaad,will lead to unnecessary bodyroll,and i am pretty sure,they do not have specific load rating as well.Not recommended,though i don't really recommend the GC upgrade kit as well:D
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  5. varun pandit

varun pandit Amatore

dehradun
    yes.akshay is right.even i've heard of such spacers,but,it is not advisable to install them as they are not tested and certified for use in indian conditions by automobile authority.plz dont go for them.even i've done g.c upgrade last month,nd it is worth and safe.:ugeek:
  6. Mr.Boss

Mr.Boss Amatore

Don't go for spring spacers unless and until you shift to longer stroke shock absorbers.
    It will affect ride and handling in terms of suspension stroke (especially the rebound stroke) ride and handling.
    Adding flexible spacers on the top of strut will affect the handling during cornering and braking.