1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

strange incabin "whine" noise developed

Discussion in 'Technical' started by vivek_lko, Feb 15, 2012.

1. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Guys recently my 90hp has developed a strange "whine" like a high speed turbine rotating. This starts of at around 50km/h and with the increase in the speed the pitch of the sound too increases . After around 80kmph it merges with the other in cabin noise but is very much there .
    When the foot is removed from the accelerator and the car decelerates the sound again comes up and becomes audible after around 70kmph and gradually decreases in pitch and finally goes away below 40kmph ; as if some motor is gradually decreasing in spinning speed.

At first I thought it is coming from the engine so I did a small trial. Found a deserted stretch of road . Accelerated my car to 90kmph and then brought the gear to neutral and switched off the engine ; and let the car decelerate on its own ; but the strange whine still came up like it was coming before. It sounds like some "poor mans F1 engine sound :( " . Note that all through the AC is switched off , the music system is off and all the windows are closed.

Can anyone throw light on this ? Can it be due to some problem in the bearing/tyres ? I have done 21K kms on my car. This sound has developed around a week back and a number of my friends have confirmed my observation.

Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  2. soori

soori

Dubai
    I guess this sound is from the wheel bearing or disc.
  3. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    is it like a whistling sound? check if its there when the car is stationary and also if it comes only when the rpm needle crosses 2k
  4. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    vivek_lko, bro whatever described in your post shows that your car facing wheel bearing problem. That humming noise due to faulty bearing. TASS will replace it under warrenty.

About your test, do not intimate in such practice! Switching off engine may cause ill effects on yor engine, so never do it again!
  5. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    Hey Tron, thanks man i never knew that ? I actually switched off my engine after bringing the gear to neutral and when i restarted the engine I ensured that the gear is still in neutral . Can it still cause a problem? Also when the TAS replace the bearing do they change all the 4 or only the concerned one?

its not a whistling sound but a "whine"..like you hear in a mixer-blender when you run the motor without any load, though a muted one . The whistling sound is another sound that is heard externally; to be precise a "hiss" as if some air is being sucked when the car is just idling but this sound is totally independent of the "whine" which is heard "inside the cabin" even when the engine is off but the car is in motion.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  6. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    That depends o how many bearings are gone.
    If only one is caput then they'll chenge that one. Just go to nearest TASC & show it to em. They'll find out which bearing is faulty.
  7. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Pls open the bonnet & check air intake pipes. Any difference in acceleration/power loss?? There could be something rubbing to the wheel like poly-bag or wire stuck under-body:irked. That happened to me once. Avoid drive it further as it could cost you some undesired maintenance. Have an under-body inspection at TASS immediately. Since you have switched off the engine & even then whine is reported, could very well be ball bearing issue & not likely to be turbo one.

It should be fixed under warranty.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    no there is no loss in power...but the car now has started becoming very boomy even at speeds of 70-80. I showed it to Mr OP sharma of HIM patparganj. He said he cannot immediately tell from where the sound is coming but he ruled out bearing saying that "bearing problem" sounds more like a girdling sound and not a "whine". He said it could be from tyres. Inside the cabin it can be heard as coming from behind the car. As of now he has said me to come on some weekday where they can "experiment" by replacing the tyres and then check...Anyways lets see.
  9. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Noida
    @tron ,soori and ENKI , You guys were bang on spot correct .The problem was with the rear right bearing. Went to HIM patparganj again a 2nd time . Rafiq who is the right hand of Mr OP Sharma took the test drive and immediately deciphered the problem. I went there at 11 AM and by 2:30 PM the bearing was replaced FOC under warranty. FIAT rocks. What a quick service. Also I got a general checkup done for which I was charged 220 rupees. Rest all was free :). And now the car is again smooth!!
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Cunning Tata guys! Hidden charges of bearing replacement.
    At one side dealer showed warrantee work but from other side dealer recovered labour charges from you by quoting general check-up.
    Dealer doesn't have right to recover general check-up charges if the car is in warrantee.