1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Story of Punto's sudden battery death

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by RaviHegde, Apr 7, 2014.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Actually, if I may suggest do not alter within the fusebox. A new original Fiat provided relay will again work for a couple of years. Or try locating a similar terminal one of a better brand within India.

What you should do I think is modify wiring so that ignition key will kill all connection from battery/alternator to relay to AC. I am not an expert in this area, but this is what was done to Siena along with some more modifications to make things fool-proof.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Ordered the relay from Kits n spares. According to their website delivery takes 10-14 days. I have a 250 kms drive in the weekend with the family. I have already started sweating thinking about what I will have to hear when they start sweating .. specially the "bitter half"!
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Agree - I don't want to get into a bigger problem by fiddling with the fuse box. I will do it without any modifications to the fuse box. Idea is to ensure - nobody can make out I am using after market relay if I pull out the relay and also be able to put a Fiat replacement in the place if my experiment fails (hope not!)

Though it will fix the problem, it is a major surgery! I want to keep things as simple as possible with minimum modification to the stock system so that Fiat mechanics will be able to work on it if I go to Fiat for any problems only they can fix. As an analogy I will prefer wearing a spectacle instead of embedding a lens inside my eye. If vision gets blurred any time in future just change the spectacle, no need to go to the surgeon again :-D
    1 person likes this.
  4. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I faced similar issue with my punto. Below is my alternative solution for you.

1. Keep the faulty relay with you and fix it before starting the car.
    2. Go for your drive with this relay and enjoy the ac.
    3. As soon as you stop (I mean if you r turning off the car for more than an hour), open the bonnet and take out the relay.

This is an alternative approach which I followed for 20 days when I faced relay issue and non availabilty of part at TASS
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Going OT. Which is the relay (as seen in the fuse box layout) which switches On the cooling fan after the the engine has been switched off?
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    There is one flipside to this approach as has been tried by me also.

The problematic hot relay many a times get so hot, it even melts the bottom plastic in some cases to stick to the fuse box. The terminals expand so much that while pulling out the super hot relay, even if managed to be pulled out somehow, the female socket and male relay terminals will both get damaged. Now, let the relay terminals be damaged, the relay is to be replaced anyways, but the socket needs to be kept very intact, to avoid play in the future for new relay/s.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    AC relay.JPG

Is this the AC relay. Seems to match the one in your description.

Fiat Grande Punto 05-09 Relay A727 702.30 46520421 | eBay

If so, then I can ask around for the price and availability of this part.

I am sure you too can find a replacement aftermarket somewhere in Karanataka. Ask for automotive shops and garages who stock parts for VW, Skoda and Mercedes, BMW. Chances are they may have a better version of this lying around.
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I appreciate the suggestion. Though I had bought Punto when I was in Bangalore, currently I live in a small town 500 kms away from Bangalore. Therefore no chance of finding anything in my place. I have to travel to nearest city like Hubli or Bangalore. It is unlikely I will find a replacement in Hubli. Bangalore - may be. However, I did not try that because I wanted a solution that will not kill my battery again. Therefore I ordered a good quality (what I believe is of good quality - will know only when I get it) relay for the experiment. I am a DIY fan. So, I will enjoy the process, if not the end result! Let me see what happens ...
    1 person likes this.
  9. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ravi - brilliant for sharing this info. Just keep posted your R&D outcome.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Great spirit and good luck man..! :cool