1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Story of a 12 L Rupee “LEMON” – The New Fiat Linea MJD Emotion – Sep 2015

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by vinayk, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rusticnomad

rusticnomad Amatore

Indore
    Indore
    Linea T-Jet
    @vinayk -- Re replacement of defective parts under warranty, there's minimal fuss from FIAT from what I have experienced.

As I said, I am not contesting your claims about existence of problem. Would love to see how bad the situation is with 20% problem still remaining. Arch gap should be identical within tolerable limits. Anything beyond is a problem that they WILL need to address. At the end of the day, problems need to be fixed/sorted out. With all that has been addressed, all other variables -- alignment, tyre etc -- are ruled out. So, with a convincing video on hand (start from wrong side drive on empty stretches and continue till you land on left edge of the road) ask them why it is still pulling to left and what's the solution.

Keep us posted.
  2. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @vinayk The agony that you must have gone through would have given you a lot of heartburn and stress. No doubt about that.

I own a GP 90 HP and let me put my experiences regarding the LH side pulling of the car. I had this problem from day one. Leave the steering and it would pull to the left within 200 meters and I would be down on the kaccha road in no time. Got it checked and the FASS folks asked me to wait till 5K and see if the situation improves as the tyres bed in. Yes there was slight improvement. On HYD - BANG highway I noticed that the left pull is a lot lesser unlike in city roads as the roads are much wider giving you a plane to drive on unlike city roads. The issue was still there but as the tyres put on miles the condition improved. They exchanged the front tires and voila the issue was gone @ 5K servicing. @ 10 K I did the rotation, balancing and alignment and guess what the car started pulling left again. It wasn't as bad but still it was there. I got it done outside FASS and after rechecking again I was told most probably tyre issue. They wanted to swap tyres and check. We swapped and car started pulling to right:arghh:. We did a lot of testing, alignment done again but no luck. I asked them to swap the tires again and continued for another 5K. I thought and still think something to do with tires.

Then again @ 15 K service alignment was done @ FASS and thing improved though not completely resolved. @ 20 K did the rotation, balancing and alignment again. The same day one of the tires burst due sharp object and I changed one of the tires. Resulted in serious right hand pull. Ignored and once the tire settled in the pull had reduced quite a lot and perfectly manageable. Again did alignment @ 26 K @ FASS and slight right pull was still there:mad:. Got tires swapped and result was severe left hand pull. Got it back to original set up with slight right pull. All through these I have checked @ multiple alignment centers as well as @ FASS. I found its best to get alignment done @ FASS because at the very least they always have updated alignment readings. Unless and until you are going to a reputed alignment center there is not guarantee that they will have updated alignment readings for FIAT. All through these 27 K KMS the pull was never severe and on good NH I noticed the pull is so negligible that can be ignored. Its only at slower speeds that one would notice these pull. At higher speeds the set up works perfectly fine. Till date I have been running on stock Apollo Accelares and except for one tire burst which was completely my mistake as I took the car too much towards the left to hit a sharp object on the sidewalls there has been not a single puncture nor any un even tire wear. The tires look good for another 20-25 K, handling and balance has been real charm.

And I have done close to 20 K KMS on road trips only with many more close to 3K KMS trip. I have driven continuously for close to 17 hrs covering around 1 K KMS except for breaks for food and nature calls. I did BANG - HYD all of 612 KMS till I reached my home in 7 hours flat without any breaks. I slept for 6 hours and attended office the next day. No fatigue or pain any where in the body.

Take the thought out of your head and enjoy the car and unless and until the pull issue is causing the car to move to left/right even with your hands on the steering ignore and enjoy the positives of the car. You will fall in love with the car in not time. The ergonomic issue that you are facing may also be resolved by trying different permutations and combination of steering position and seat adjustment.

I am no one to comment on the issues that you are facing and your concerns may be genuine. But as I have experienced with other Fiat owners this issue is either completely resolvable or too minute to be ignored as in my case. I have continued driving with the slight pull issue and I do not even remember it until I actually remove both my hands from the steering. As Abarth's tagline says "THE STEERING ISN'T JUST FOR STEERING ITS FOR HOLDING ON". I am fine with the little issues I have and am afraid that trying to fix the almost non existent issue may create further problems. I continue to enjoy the car to the fullest.

Please note that I have driven cars from lot of manufactures within and outside of India some of them iconic drivers car, some almost thrice the price of Indian Fiats. Let me assure Fiat makes some of the best driver cars south of a million rupees. To get that thrill or better it you have to shell out double the price at least in India.

My suggestion get on with it. Get stuff which are you think have been damaged due to the testing changed under warranty. Try and get to point where the issue is more than manageable. Check if over the next 5K - 10 K KMS and see if things improve. Else just sell it off and move on with your life. In India going through the legal stuff is going to take a lot of energy and time and lots of money as well. Shit happens to everyone at some point in life. Forget it and move on.

No offence meant to anyone nor am I am trying to judge your judgment or intelligence.:joyful:
    linea4me, vtlreja2 and gpunto75 like this.
  3. vinayk

vinayk Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @nibedk - I must say you have a lot of patience.

No doubt it a great car & possibly best of the C Segment cars I have owned till date, which is the obvious reason for the choice.

But the severe pulling issue from day one, which give a hand and shoulder pain in less than 30 min of driving was unacceptable.

Initially I got the alignment done as Madhus, who are best in the business at Bangalore. Issues still persisted and I had to go back to FIAT

There are mixed reviews on FASS alignment, as machines were found out of calibration from many of the customer reviews.

I really love the car barring this issue, which was worked upon for 45 days by FASS and Fiat technical team where all of the front steering and suspension was dismantled and refitted. It hurts to see a brand new car go through all this multiple times :-(

I hope FIAT agrees to replace all worn fastners, scratched alloys and support with an extended warranty to reinstate my confidence back in the cars long term reliability.

I really appreciate you sharing your experience and concerned on the issue I am going through :)
  4. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @vinayk Thanks for reading through. I am not sure how patient I am but may be my friends and family can better comment on that. But from the experiences I had in the short life till now has taught me a lot.

We human beings are a peculiar lot. We miss the woods for trees. We do not enjoy eating the mango but we surely do count the seeds( guthli in Hindi). We always look for more and do not care for what we have in present. We never work towards making our lives better. But we surely expect that a little more money , a bigger car or house is going to change life suddenly. In all this bhagam bhag we never stop to enjoy the small pleasures in life. Driving is one of them for me:joyful:.

Would you believe I once drove 400 kms for no particular reason. I drove for around 5-6 hours on ORR for no reason and achieved my best mileage on Punto close to 21 km/l and the highest speed I ever did 180 km/h. I know its not safe. I only drove when I could see a km ahead of me and sustained the speed not more 20 secs.

Please connect with @PradeepM . He had the left pull issue and it was fixed successfully I guess. You can PM him he should be help.
  5. vinayk

vinayk Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @nibedk - Nice to hear about your experiences and passion :)

Yes I did read all of @PradeepM reviews at every stage before going ahead with my purchase and What he has was a minor left pull address through alignment. In my case it was a severe left pull addresed to 80% extent after 45 days of R&D by Fiat.

I am open for more R&D as that's the only option I guess.
  6. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vinayk
    I have been watching your thread from first day,

All I would say nothing is impossible mate, its mechanical things which are fixable for sure.
    Having said that, I have been facing left pulling from day 1, 34k kms so far,
    Tried fass multiple alignments, fass and outside too,
    Sometimes successful in getting rid off it,
    today got my Tyres changed,
    Issue is fixed,
    No pull or whatsoever, be it left or right.
    It was solved in second attempt,
    At first there remain some play in steering while putting the car on alignment,
    So in next attempt, the guy started the car, steer it right n left , did his work , and Voila !!!!
    He was back with a smile....

Also, I m not commenting that the issue is solved permenantly , it may pop up again after 700-800 kms, ( i guess this time it wont) but it is certainly not as big to term it as a lemon, I know its fun to drive after solving the issue.

The way u are going will not going to solve the issue, if only if u wanna solve it, there are ways ,
    Lower arm busings, torrision beam, struts, tie rod, tires, alignment outside fass, etc could solve the issue, believe me nothing is unfixable

Cheers
    Vicky
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 21, 2015 ---
    @nibdek
    Mate, 10k is too early for tyre rotation,
    I did it and resulted into uneven tyre wear n tear,
    15-20k kms is OK for that

5k for alignment
    10k for balancing
    20k for rotation
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 21, 2015 ---
    Also,
    There is the provision in fiat,
    That to keep the tyre pressure 43 psi at the time of alignment and the to reset to normal after alignment,
    Asked the tyre guy, he said not needed..
    Just a hint
  7. vinayk

vinayk Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @vtlreja2 - Nice to see your car's fixed finally and hope it stays that way.

FASS and Fiat team from plant have inspected all the said components.

Replacement on steering rack and all the 45 day FIAT R&D addressed the issue to 80%.

Hopefully it's gets resolved soon.

Yaaaay more R&D from FIAT on my brand new car :)
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Vicky
    Great piece of advice except that WA/WB, tyre rotations is to bending done every 5K kms or 6 months which ever is early. This helps in extending the life of the tyres to avoid any uneven wear.
  9. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ghodlur @vtlreja2 @PradeepM
    Some links which suggests on the frequency of tire rotation
    https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/05/how-often-should-you-rotate-your-tires/
    http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/safe-driving/tire-safety/tire-rotation.html

Especially on our Indian roads where we may not be driving on the best of the roads we may change a little earlier based on our usage is what I feel. I mostly drive on well paved roads or highways with say 30% bad or off roads. I usually go in for alignment before start of every trip which is usually @ 5k intervals and get the rotation and balancing done every 10K.

15 - 20 K is too long a duration for the tires to changed unless one is driving on freeways. And 5K seems to be too short unless the roads are real bad. 6 months duration with around 1.5 K kms average would be around 9-10 k kms which I feel is ideal given our city road and highways conditions.
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Thanks for the links. But my thumb rule is once before the monsoons and once after the monsoons.

Sorry for hijacking the thread which belonged to Vinay.
    PradeepM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.