1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Stone pierced through tyre

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by vIjAy_kHaSa, Mar 12, 2012.

1. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    It's the second time my Apollo Accelere tyres have been pierced by stone in 6k kms of running and what's more shocking is that the air escapes in a moment with boom sound as if a tyre got burst. The stone isn't much sharp to damage tyre so badly.
    In the last 8k kms I have damaged 3 tyres 1 Michelin and 2 Apollo's god please forgive me.
    Both the times I was hardly doing 10 kmph. I had changed from Michelin to Apollo as Michelin tyres I had bough also got damaged but I haven't been spared with Apollo tyres too. What's more shocking is that all of my alloys have developed little bends after switching to these tyres.
    The Good year GT3 were pretty good and they didn't left me stranded anywhere in the middle of road and alloys were fine too with these GY GT3 for full 50k kms on same roads and same driving pattern.

Here I am attaching a photo of how the tyre looks after damage. Tyre wala says he have to put two punctures there but I don't think that tyre would be safe to use.
    I really miss OEM GY GT3 tyres which were rock hard, noisy but reliable and safe
    What do you guys feel I should do now

DSC00143.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  2. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Bangalore
    This is crazy.

I am using Yokohoma c-drives. so far so good.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This is shocking to see Vijay. Will there be any manufacturing defect with that piece? My car got the Apollo Acceler and I have completed 16K. No issues so far.
  4. Really scary and shocking Vijay ..

Cant imagine tyres getting deflated in seconds while cruising on roads ..

And Ramesh , looks like it is his 3rd tyre .So wont be a manufacturing defect .

Ajit
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @Cutyred indeed it is quite scary and the first time it happened I thought Amp under my seat had exploded due to short circuit.
    @ramjn I don't think it can be a manufacturing defect, what is happening according to me is when this specific area gets hit with a little sharp stone at a certain angle the tyre is not able take that pressure and goes bust.
    This area doesn't contact road normally and is designed to give tyre a broader view when seen from distance. GT3 feels a size smaller when seen from distance noticed this today and I had to reads specs on Apollos sidewall to confirm they were of same size as original tyres.
    As construction is going in our house and other lot of houses in sec 26 pkl there are lots of stone mountains on road and you have to drive over them and this causes Apollo's to go bust in seconds.
    I have lost 2 Apollos and 1 Michelin so far.
    What I am not happy is with all air going out in a moment in Apollo's, In case of Michelin there was a little cut and deforming in shape of tyre and it was replaced by Michelin as good will gesture. What's the use of Tubeless tyres if all air goes out in seconds.
    Credit have to be given to old OEM GY GT3 and MRF ZVTS and GY GPS2 combo in our other car for taking such abuse multiple times a day for now over a year with no problem whatsoever.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    10kmph and the stone pierces the tire! Either the tire was too weak or the stone struck it at some really vulnerable point (Achilles heel?).

That's not a small puncture, mate.
  7. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    for the first time i am seeing that a stone is getting pierced so deep into the tyre and rupturing it. And you said you damaged the michelins too similar way :)

I am sure you stay in area of murderous stones :)

I am using michelins + goodyear + bridgestones etc but never faced a stoner pierce :)
  8. singh

singh Amatore

Mohali
    Michelin(any) , Apollo accelere are very soft but not that soft . May be related to over inflation of tyre . Some time it happens when we take a sharp turn at crawling speed that shifts the weight to a particular patch in tyre ( Read at some forum not my view) , Same thing happened with my Bridgestone Potenza but that time my car must be around 30-40kmph and it lost air in seconds . Than mechanic did some patch work , fitted tube , used it for few days than changed .
    Its bad luck , money may not be the problem but it makes one superstitious.
  9. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    woha! That is one hell of a big hole! Indeed these goodyear GT3 are noisey trouble but not a single puncture till today even though i have driven them in some of the horrible terrain!

BTW guys my GT3 are 21000kms old & now they have hardly 1k kms or less than that of life in em. How is is possible? Could be any perticular reason i should look for?