1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Stock battery gone in 1.7 months

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by samnik60, Jul 31, 2015.

1. samnik60

samnik60 Timido

chennai
    Hi guys,
    My punto diesel is 1.7 years old. Today i came back from a trip, i found the battery to be flat. On checking with rdc service center, they say the gravity check shows only 7. And asking me to replace battery. They claim that the stock battery lasts mostly for 2 years for in frequent use. Can u guys comment on this, if this is true then what battery brand should i go for or this recommendation seems fishy.
  2. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    My first battery lasted 3 years - died one day. The second battery again exide lasted 2 yrs 8 months - it kept on giving "Airbag Failure" messages for almost 2 months before I changed it recently. This time I went for Amaron , let's see how long it lasts. I don't have any additional electrical equipment installed. 1.7 yrs is too less.If battery is in warranty period then you can make a claim.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  3. samnik60

samnik60 Timido

chennai
    Ya .. I am thinking the time line is too short, Considering that i have run only 7.5k in 1.7 years. Stock battery has only one year warranty. I will do some research on Amaron as it seems to be the choice in my friend circle too.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 1, 2015, Original Post Date: Jul 31, 2015 ---
    After going through a thread in battery upgrade . I am thinking of going with Amaron
    AAM-FL-566112060 ( 60 Ah ) .
    Will ask the service engineer about this tomorrow and keep you guys posted.
  4. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Amaron/Exide/SF Sonic....every brand is same.
    If your Car isn't on extra electrical load, go for Din50, else Din55.
    Irrespective of Ah rating and Brand, if the battery isn't on 75% charge (12.4V) , it will start sulphation and slowly degenerate.
    If the car isnt on much run, try to remove the battery and connect it with any Home UPS or Inverter.

I charge it with my APC 650VA ups which has a float voltage of 13.4V and leave it for 60hrs.
    asimpleson likes this.
  5. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    What is the gravity check value for a healthy battery ?
  6. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Can you please elaborate about the same. Esp. how you are connecting it, the wires, any pic will help. Does it involve some hack.
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  8. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @samnik60,what are the manufacturing dates of your car & the battery?
  9. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @asimpleson
    Disconnected the 7.5Ah battery of my APC 650VA and it has two female connectors (Red +ve & Black -ve).
    Took two meter length 2.5 sq.mm of red & black wires and connected one ends to male connectors and other to Metal crocodile clips.
    Just remove the car battery and clip on this setup. UPS charges and operates simultaneously with out any problem.
    Sorry for the pics , as the UPS is set up for my TV & home theater audio, its hard to pull it out from cabinet.

Male connectors and wire, you can easily source them from auto electrical shop or car decors.
    This is very useful for those who leave their cars idle for longer duration and pay for jump starts or sometime end up with Dead battery.
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. tiaf

tiaf Novizio

Chennai
    @samnik60 Mine is 1year and 8 months old, I had been getting airbag failures for last 2 months and finally replaced the battery.
    Got an exide din50 for 4800/- exchanging old battery.
    I used the car almost on a daily basis, but still battery died very soon. Also looks like warranty period is just 1 year for stock battery.