1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering wobbling on braking

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by shashanknathani, Nov 4, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Some times the issue can be caused due to wrongly fitted brake pads. In most cases they won't tight the bolts with torque wrench. These bolts are very sensitive. It may start giving non uniformity on the contact surface and can cause lot of problems. If the problem persists even now show the vehicle to TASS and ask them to inspect it again. For short cut they may use air tools to tighten the screw which is never to be done. Non uniformity of surfaces will lead to non uniformity in heat conduction and can lead to uneven temperature distribution on discs. Better to resolve the problem early before it getting multiplied. Ideally with new pads there should not be any problems. Also I hope you have avoided hard breaking after changing the new pads which we do when we get a new vehicle.
  2. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    For my car the issue was then the faulty brake pads. The SA failed to identify the poor state of brake pads at 30K service interval and just cleaned them. When i went again at 33+K to the service center the mechanic showed me the brake pads adn they were gone. They did refund me the cleaning charges which they charged during the 30K service. Later SA also accepted that they did not had the brake pads in stock then so he said that the brake pads are fine and cleaned them. This is just being ridiculus of Tata ASS
  3. Pauleralil

Pauleralil Regolare

Kochi/Bangalore
    During the recent trip to mysore, even i felt the same steering wobbling while braking at high speeds.. if you increase the pressure this stabilizes. Also i am feeling that the vehicle has some powerloss when compared to earlier situation...

I am not at all satisfied with the 15k km service at Concorde(Kochi).. been facing a lot of issues post servicing the vehicle.. Right now i am bangalore. Should i be taking the vehicle to a service center here? I have another 600km run lined up this weekend..
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Steering wobling while braking is called brake juddering. Yours one seems like hot judder usually occur at high speeds where applying a braking develop high temperature. Obe reason is the formation of sinusoidal hot spots at that temperature. Hot spots are generated because of bad brake pads, over heating of the disc by which the materiel loose the uniformity in heat conduction. This is just one of the reason . There can be many other reason for wobbling . Other is resonance. small vibrations on brake-disc can match with that of the body(that is in contact with the discs) and in that case forced oscillation get amplified. Some time when people change the brake pads those conditions simply disapper and the vehicle will be free from wobbling. The cold brake judder is mainly due to imperfections in the disc surface.

One reason for this kind of imperfections is sudden application of brakes and keeping the brakes pressed even after the vehicle stops. This deposit more brake pad materiel on the discs. This induced non uniformity can get multiplied over the use. Better strategy will be to press and release technique. Avoid unnecessary braking at high speeds, down shift the gear to share the force between brake and the gear. more general principle is moderate speed cruising is always better for brakes. For high speeds we need to pay it later.

Report the issue to TASS.
  5. Fiat1100

Fiat1100 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi All,

Whenever I use to brake at a speed of >80 Km's my Linea's steering used to shake. I visited the service center and the main mechanical person took a ride and informed me that they have to change both the front brake disc under warranty (not sure if the part is covered, still needs to check with him). Have to visit the service center this week. Completed 15K on odometer.

After changing that the problem got resolved. Uploading the snap ((Part marked in yellow)) for your reference.
    20130529_134743.jpg

Please do let me know if that part is under warranty.

20130529_134743.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013