1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering wobbling on braking

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by shashanknathani, Nov 4, 2011.

1. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    I have started noticing a good shaking in my steering wheel on braking and braking at high speeds makes a giiiissssssshhhh sound too. I got my alignment and balancing done about 1K kms back and not noticing any shaking and vehicle not moving to any side at high speeds. the only issue is while braking the steering shakes.

Now this happens more if i drive my car after a break of 5-6 days and in normal daily driving this shaking is less...

What could be the reason?

I got my brake pads cleaned at 30K service and present odo stands 33K, the SA then said that the brake pads are perfect and just need cleaning.

My car is out of FIAT warranty now and is now under United Assurance Extended warranty.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Wobbling under braking is generally warped brake rotors.

I am also experiencing the same on an imported Ford that we have and waiting for the brake pads to arrive from Australia.

The plan of action is - to make the rotors level on the lathe by cutting them up finely a little bit. A process generally called 'turning the rotors'.

Show the car to an experienced mech., and if it is indeed warped rotors then get them ''turned'' or better get them replaced with new ones.

Cheers.
  3. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Can u shed some more light on Rotors. Do you mean by Brake discs... If that is the case then the disc replacement at 33K on the odo.. Is FIAT playing with the owners by not providing something that lasts for 1Lac kms.
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yes, i mean the front brake discs.

Firstly, do get it checked so as to make sure that the discs are indeed the culprit. It can be something else also.

Prima facie, it does appear to be a case of warped rotors.

Cheers.
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i am too facing the same problem since last 2000 kms. on high speeds as soon as i start applying brakes lightly there is woobling, which disappears as soon as i press the pedal more.

i am suspecting the brake pads. i dont think the rotors are damaged yet. will check everything in 15000 kms servicing.
  6. sathya_sc

sathya_sc

Chennai
    I had the same issue when my MJD was 28k old. Replaced the disc along with the pads and the problem got solved.. If i remember it right, the total cost came to about 6k...
  7. sahib1517

sahib1517 Timido

delhi
    hi.. I am also facing the same issue...stearing shakes while braking. also everytime i start the car i see rust on the rotors and there is a sound when i accelerate as if the tyres are llocked and something has sticked to them...
    please tell me if i need to take the car immediately to the tass and what needs to be done. also what would be the cost involved.
    mine is linea petrol fire engine and has done 30k kms.
    Thanks.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    Yes you can get the pads and rotors checked for wear. If the rotors are warped, the steering will pulse.

I assume you get the car washed everyday - that's the reason for the everyday rust. Whenever the water will touch the iron rotors , they will develop surface rust. Nothing to worry about. When standing overnight, especially with the handbrake engaged, the brake pad does stick to the drum sometimes and makes the sticking sound when moved. It's not a big deal and whenever the next service is due, ask TASS to do a thorough cleanup of the brakes.

Cheers.
  9. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    Had the same issue, told the SA about the problem during 2nd service. The culprit was Brake pads. SA told that lets clean the pads first, if the problem still remains they have to be changed. So the brake pads were cleaned. Luckily, Haven't faced the problem again.
  10. sahib1517

sahib1517 Timido

delhi
    Thanks Gurjinder and ManUtdian....i got breakpads changed in April...when service was done...and car has done only 1k kms after service.