1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Vibrations

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mads2849, Apr 5, 2012.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Let me guess. It's FORTUNE. Isn't it?

As RaviHegde mentioned, discs need to be changed when worn out pads have damaged the discs.
    If you want to play safe, then pads and discs can be changed together. I changed it togetherat 30,000 kms and again at 60,000 kms on the advice of Fortune. In between I did not need to change pads.

2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I am planning to buy pre worshiped Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion . Unfortunately there aren't many available in market. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I have got 3 Lineas to test. All of them had completed 50+, 65+ and 75+ on odo respectively.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I have figured out a common thing in all Lineas, that their were rotary vibration in steering on low speeds. The car which had completed 70+ had this vibration in negligible amount, however in other 2 cars it was clearely noticeable.[/FONT]Can anyone tell me what was that? Has any Linea owner faced this?
  3. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Neglected tires, alignment may be the reason. It is possible since the cars that you have driven are for selling.
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    steering vibrations can be because of uneven worn out tires, balancing issues, rack issues, column joint issues.You got to check these if rack is a problem area, its a costly part.
  5. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    I have Punto Sports Absolute edtion ( 90 HP ), which has clocked 5000+ Kms sofar. I am facing this peculiar problems with the steering having vibration at speeds in excess of 100+ . During me first service , I have informed the SA on the same and he said he will get the wheel alignment done. Assuming that he has done the Wheel Alignment even now at high speeds Steering feels like it is going on a very rough road , though the road is relatively smooth. To summarize the issue.

a) At speeds till 80/100 everything is normal, No issues .

b) Speeds above 100/110 Steering vibrates as if being driven on a rough road with alot of small stones scattered everywhere.

Can anyone confirm if this is normal in Punto ?. If not what are the things I should get it checked ?.

P.S:- This is a stock car which has company fitted Alloys and Tyre.
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    No SC does wheel alignment/balancing properly! As a first step get it done from outside.. hopefully your issue will get resolved.
    1 person likes this.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    ^^ I once faced similar issue. But in my case, it was evident after 130 kmph speeds. I took the car straight to tyre professionals people to get the alignment and balancing sorted out. After that, the issue disappeared. I suggest get the alignment & balancing done at good tyre shops outside, rather than at TASS.

Btw, during recent long drive, again felt slight vibrations at 140kmph and above. Its been @2000 kms since alignment & balancing, but still planning to check them once.
    1 person likes this.
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @linuxmanju, Pls have your wheels balanced at a good tyre shop. Your problems should go away. Vibrations are caused by balancing error and Alignment issues result in incorrect steering feed back or pulling either way, never vibrations.

Abdul

1 person likes this.
  9. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    Wheel alignment and balancing is normally the cause of vibration at high speed.
    Sometimes a bad shock absorber causes this type of vibration at high speed which was my case, in my Linea after 120 kmph the car used to vibrate. After I changed the left shock absorber its now stable at high speed. I have changed both the elastic pads also.
    A bent wheel also causes vibrations.
    1 person likes this.
  10. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Thanks Guys for all the replies, Will get the Balancing and alignment done at Yoko Pit shop and see if that resolves it.

@SoumenPaul I think my problem is different, The car does not vibrate, But only the steering vibration is there .

I read somewhere in this forum that If going with a Alloy it's better to install Hub Rings, Otherwise it might result in Steering Vibration (http://www.teamfiat.co.in/minor-issues-questions/5732-steering-vibration-do-i-need-hub-rings.html ) . Given that the Alloys were company fitted any idea if these hub rings were installed by default by FIAT ?.