1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Vibrations

Discussion in 'Technical' started by mads2849, Apr 5, 2012.

1. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    I own a Punto Emo packMJD . My car has done 6000kms. My steering is smooth even at hight speeds, but starts to vibrate on braking.I have noticed this recently. The vibration is more if I brake at high speeds. Also when I take a turn and press the clutch, I feel the clutch to be loose and feels as if it would break off. There is vibration in the clutch too. I would appreciate inputs/ssuggestions before I take the car to the workshop. Thanks
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    break boosters
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    No no, not the brake booster.

Firstly get the brake pads and brake discs checked.
    1 person likes this.
  5. mads2849

mads2849

Delhi
    Ok Gurjinder I will check the break pads and discs, but what about the vibration in the clutch. While turning at low speed an braking, it feels as if the clutch would come off. What should I check for this?
  6. anrad73

anrad73 Amatore

Thane, India
    Hi, I read somewhere that if the Brake Pads are unevenly worn out then the Steering vibrates when braking !

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

Also wanted to know whether we need to replace both the Brake Pads and the Brake Discs together in a FIAT ? This comment was made by one of FIAT's dealers when my Colleague's Punto had gone for service.
  7. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Discs may have to be replaced if the worn out brake pads have damaged the discs.
  8. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

Bangalore
    When I turn my stering wheel to extreme left or right while on idle..I get kind of hissing noise ..is this normal??
  9. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

I have the exact same problem and TASS says i need to replace the Rotor's as well as the PADS. My grande has done 21K Kms, This started around 17K kms i guess. My Pads are not completely worn out, but the SA was not able to explain why this is Happening.

But at 6K kms, you should have them change stuff under warranty.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Yes, this is normal. You would hear this even when you are taking a complete turn as well.
  10. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    what is the normal ODO reading to replace discs? I have done 40k kms on my Punto, and im wondering if this is time to replace the discs? I also have a little bit of vibration on my steering when I apply brakes.

EDIT - I had replaced my pads once while i did 28K kms.
    Last edited: May 22, 2012