1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering vibration at idle.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by jayadev, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The best part of my punto which I was sold for was no vibrations while at showroom. Almost cars except Punto had best NVH .

Now it has got some vibrations while at idle. I have taken it to FASS couple of time and they had replaced the engine bushings and everything related to their knowledge but the vibration remains.

This vibration wasn't there before second service when they had done some minor work with steering rack.

This vibrations fades post 1000 revs in odo. it gets boomy at 800 rpm ,boomy and annoyingly fills my ear. I am bit apprehensive about the cause of it could be engine or gearbox related pertaining to some alignments?

It is not alarmingly disturbing but there is this anomaly which is haunting me whenever I think about my ride.

Now it seems like I have to live with it which is some what annoying for a perfection seeking guy like me.or should I take to some private workshop, as Fass has almost failed to resolve it given 3 or 4 attempts .

Your valuable suggestions and advice please.
  2. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    Hi, How old is your car and how many kms it has run..?
  3. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Punto90hp, 2 year old ,22000km

It gets annoying while at signal hault with closed windows and Ac on. I maintain slight press on accelerator pedal to keep the rev at 1000 rpm.
    please note there is no vibration felt while running.
  4. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Actually when you are revving while idling, it is bad to engine. So don't do it.
  5. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Please keep us posted. I have seen this vibration even in Petrol Linea at TASS. TASS says - "itna to normal hota hain" (some steering vibration is normal)

Are your tyres balanced?
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    If the vibration started only after this repair work, then they must look into everything they opened & refitted during the repair. And re-torque everything to factory specs.

The sad thing is - no one gives a damn about what a torque wrench is.
    2 people like this.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    yes this is what I am hearing from them. "this is normal" . I had to show them another punto and prove my stand that it is not normal, when they had no way but to agree.

It is a shame, the regular technicians and service guys have no Idea what they are doing and what they are suppose to do. they are hardwired to follow the some checklist ,if anything outside checklist pops up then then we owners are abnormal.

Yes my tires are balanced from an outside agency ,I do it religiously.
    2 weeks ago my car stayed 4 days in FASS to resolve. when we called on fourth day came the shocker "sorry sir ,we forgot " I took my car back home
  8. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    jaydev, it could be engine firing related.Maybe not everything in harmony, some deposits hindering the free flow of gasses at idle rpms. I suggest try filling some HSD or use System D and drive hard for a few hundred kms and check for difference.

I used to think that technicians of Kerala are very good at diagnosis and think out of the box !

Abdul
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I dont feel it is something engine related but as Gurjinder mentioned something over torqued or some of the bushing gone kaput.
    If I am not wrong, if it was free-flow gas related issue it would show up while revving up or in mileage or somehow.

Fass people have confirmed it one of the bushing .As part of thier effort they have already replaced two of the bushing and one critical one remains but it has been more than 4 months they have failed to procure it from Pune,which is a very bad news.Fault is at Pune as we speak now.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am also getting vibes in steering at idle RPM. I compared with another car.
    There is abnormal shaking also at idle RPM. When I press throttle there are no vibes.

IMO at idle RPM we should get vibes of engine stroke only. Not vibes due to engine shaking.
    Too much shaking at idle RPM means problem of rough idle.

Causes of Rough idle are bad fuel,incorrect air-fuel ratio,clogged egr/intercooler & faulty injectors.
    Due to rough idle you may get abnormal vibrations in steering at idle RPM.