1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Vibration at idle in New Punto Evo Emotion (1.3 MJD - 75 HP)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Vineesh K, Jul 6, 2015.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

This is due to the 9 leaf AC fan. It is normal in post 2012 GP/Evo. The earlier ones had a noisier but vibe free 7 leaf fan.
    Vineesh K likes this.
  2. Vineesh K

Vineesh K Timido

Thiruvananthapuram
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thank you Ganges and Abdul for the replies.

Ganges, the steering wheel just vibrates, there is no shimmying, also, the vibration is actually spread all over the dash, not just the steering wheel.

For the time being, perhaps I will wait till the first service and will check if the vibration gets worse or reduces.

Thanks again :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 16, 2015 ---
    Thank you DRIV3R ...
  3. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @DRIV3R, The increase in fan leaf count is only to increase the airflow. Fan blade increase can also be done to improve the compactness of the fan assy while still retaining the flow parameter .In post 2012 change, it could have been done specifically to improve the cooling requirement for A/c. It has no impact on the vibration levels. All fans are compulsorily balanced at the mfr point. Higher no of blades also reduces the turbulence of air between blades and hence reduces noise. I am a vendor to a major MNC making radiator cooling fans and have been part of many discussions over the years on these subjects during development.

Abdul
    Vineesh K, asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    totally agree with Abdul.
    More over the fan is indirectly coupled to the engine(i.e electrical) even if a small imbalance is there nothing is going to be passed on to the dashboard.
    stay below 2500 rpm mark for 5K and you will see the difference after that.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    Vineesh K likes this.
  5. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

With due respect to your profession, let me just say am talking from my own experience. I own a 2011 made 90HP, which came with the 7 leaf fan from the factory. It was noisy but produced no vibes at all. I got it changed to the 9 blade one because it is less noisy, and the vibes started. The door vibes if open, you can feel the vibes if you place your hand on the hood, and also on the steering wheel when AC is on. This is due to the new fan and you can see the same in any post 2012 vehicle.

The same was confirmed by the service centre as well, and later when i checked our 2012 75, the same kind of vibes were there. It is upto you to believe or not. :)
    Vineesh K and jumu like this.
  6. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,
    Just got little sensitive after reading these steering vibrations.
    Even I have mild steering vibrations at idle at home or in traffic.

Mild Vibrations:
    If you touch the steering wheel/pad, your palms will feel that engine is working.
    Also, visually you can see steering wheel/horn pad vibrating mildly.

If this normal. I assume its normal given the diesel engine and its vibrations.
    I had similar exp in Swift Diesel as well.
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @Vineesh K @whitepunto76 : Can you guys please post a Video of this issue? Unable to understand the intensity of vibes you are talking about.
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Difficult upload videos. for just 80MB, it takes 2hrs. Any shortcuts
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
  10. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Wow!. Great news. It means I need to first check the Engine Mounts. Or should I check steering rack setup.