1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Vibration at idle in New Punto Evo Emotion (1.3 MJD - 75 HP)

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Vineesh K, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Vineesh K

Vineesh K Timido

Thiruvananthapuram
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hi All,

I became a Team FIAT member after a chance encounter with the owner of a Linea at a Parking lot.

I just thought I will raise a problem (may be normal). While idling, the steering of my Punto Evo vibrates (idling rpm is around 800). It seems the vibration was there from the beginning, but it has become very noticeable now. The car is just 1.5 months old now (900 kms on the odo).

Could anyone please tell me if this is normal and wait till the engine gets time to run-in, or should I take the car to the Service Center?

Thank you!
    Vineesh.
    Anand Shankar likes this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Vineesh
    Warm welcome to the forum.Please check once by opening the bonnet,if the air filter assembly is vibrating ? These vibrations can be transferred to steering wheel too.In such cases the Elastic Pad(Costs 13 rupees) of Air filter assembly might have given up.
    Vineesh K likes this.
  3. Vineesh K

Vineesh K Timido

Thiruvananthapuram
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thank you very much, Ganges :)

I checked if the air filter was vibrating. It was. But I am confused if it is normal vibration because it is connected to the engine.

Normally the intake pipe and the air filter area will not vibrate? Or is the vibration very less? In this case, I could see the pipes vibrating, I didn't have to touch them to feel the vibration.

Also, can we replace the elastic pad ourselves? If yes, can you please guide me on it?

Thank you!
    Vineesh.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Your car is only 1.5 months old. Why don't you take your car to the FASS for the diagnosis. What ever be the problem, they will need to fix this under warranty.
    Vineesh K likes this.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Vineesh,

its good that you take your car to the nearest FASS.
  6. Vineesh K

Vineesh K Timido

Thiruvananthapuram
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thank you, Ramjn and Ganges.

I will be doing that shortly.

Regards,
    Vineesh.
    Saji Babu likes this.
  7. Vineesh K

Vineesh K Timido

Thiruvananthapuram
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Hello Ramjin and Ganges,

I took the car to the only FASS in Trivandrum, Mohandas Fiat. The service advisor came and checked the vibration, and immediately opined that this kind of vibration is normal. I asked him to let me check another car. He took me to another Fiat Punto, and it also had similar vibration on the steering wheel.

I am confused now. My brother who drives a Grande Punto says his car has zero vibration while idling, and he does not even feel the car is on.

Can anyone with a new Punto Evo advise me here? Is this kind of steering vibration normal while idling?
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @Vineesh
    Not sure what kind of vibration you are talking about. When diesel is started and in idling condition the steering has some mild vibrations. Just feels like engine is running. Thats all. Dont expect petrol car kind of refinement.
    Also, if you say vibration does it mean steering wheel moves/shimmers/left-right-left-right.....
    Please explain
    Vineesh K and Ganges like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    +1 @whitepunto76
    Vineesh,
    Thats normal for the diesel cars.
    The vibrations which i mentioned in my earlier post might be more as compared to your case,hence the elastic pad was changed.
    Vineesh K likes this.
  10. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Vineesh, One must also consider that the engine of the Evo is fairly very new at 900 kms. Rough spots if any tend to get ironed out by 5000kms. Drive at under 3000 rpm acceleration level until first service.It is a good practice. Many may say no need for it , but a baby simply just doesnt begin to run after delivery:). Let the engine settle down while you relax and enjoy the drive. A wee bit of vibration is in the DNA of diesel engine which works on compression only for ignition, compared to a petrol which is assisted for combustion by spark plugs.

Abdul
    rajks, ViPr and Vineesh K like this.