1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering not in center after wheel alignment. What next?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PaddleShifter, May 6, 2012.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @SpeedJet- I have alignment report of TASC from my old service. I will post it here by tomorrow after finding it.
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Thanks Yashik, I shall wait for it
  3. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How do u finally manage to get the steering back in position??
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @SppedJet- Sorry that I did not upload the sheet here. :(

Simply get the alignment done again with the steering in center position. DO NOT let anyone open the steering and correct it. That is the wrong approach.

Thanks to this funnt TASC, I had to visit a 3D wheel alignment shop and get the alignment done from him.
  5. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

It is actually not possible in Fiat's especially EPK's with airbags,as steering is held in place by one groove.
    Earlier car's used to have multiple grooves.,where steering could be centered using this technique.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Normal non-3D alignment is fine as well. No worries there.
  7. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Car is moving to the left side after replacing the tyre..

Hi All,

I need your advise on the issue I am facing after replacing the old work out JK Tornado(165/80/R14).

The new tyres are Appolo 185/70/R14. After the replacement, on the way to my home I felt the car is going to the left side if I dont keep my hand on the steering on the stright road even. I also noticed that after turning a curver, the steering rotated back but stays a little towards left side, say 10 degree. What I am doing right now is keeping my hand on the steering with gentle pressure towards the right to keep the car straight.

I went back to the tyre service station again today and got all the wheel balancign and alightments rechecked. They told me during the alignment that only toe can be adusted and caster/camper are factory set and cannot be adjusted. The technician tried all his best to make it correct, but in vain. He finally diagonally swapped the tyres as the las try. Front LH tyre to Rear RH and vice versa, Front RH tyre to Rear LH and vice versa. When I test drove, the issue was there intact. I had to leave the service station with the problem as it is **.
    ** After the tyre swap, they have adjusted the air for rear and front as per Punto specification. But they did not do the wheel alighment. Do the wheel alignment to be done again?

Now I also think if this is due to any mechanical issue of the car. The reason because my last tyres were completely worn out and car ran some distance with that tyres. Steering was slighly wobbling and car was moving a bit towards right. I was told by TASC SA that woblling and pulling will be alright after the replacement of tyre.

I read the post by Paddleshifter/Yashik Bansal and in your case, the steering was towards the rigth direction, and in my case it is to left.. :)

I am attaching the report of wheel alignment for the referece. It is completely out of my knowledge. Pls help to identify if there is any issue and I hope TFIans could definitely help to get out of this trouble.

TVLA-Wheel Alignment.JPG

Regards,
    Ganesh
  8. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    1st Try wheel alignment again by Tass
    2nd check with another set of wheels from other punto
    3rd little camber adjustment can be done by pulling wheel knuckle outside so from front driver side wheels will look like slight \ \
    it can be done in this way

Remove front driver side wheel , loos front suspension bolts where wheel knuckle is fixed then Pull wheel knuckle towards you hold it tight and then tight that two suspension bolts .........

now same with passenger side wheel but you have to push wheel knuckle towards engine side ......

so from front wheels look like slight \ \

IMG-20121120-WA0006.jpg IMG-20121120-WA0008.jpg

IMG_20121221_112229.jpg

By this method i have solved my punto left pulling issue as well as xuv 5oo too,
    But while doing this dont pull to much or else Tyre wear out will start
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Aniket has nailed it.

Is your Punto still under warranty or under extended warranty?
  10. ganesh.g1982

ganesh.g1982 Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It is still under warranty (*2 years right? ).

Regards,
    Ganesh

- - - Merged Post - - -

Aniket,

I really appreciate you. But my apologies go there first... I can check the the 1st item asap, but 2nd and 3rd are technically a bit out of scope for me at present. I need to rely some one for getting those checked or done. Else i need more advise, I am not that confident, honestly. Else TASS, No other options for me..

Gurujinder, Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have responded, just putting it again. It is still under warranty.