1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering not in center after wheel alignment. What next?

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by PaddleShifter, May 6, 2012.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today, I got the 3rd free service of my car done at Banarasi Dass, Panchkula. I had no other option but to visit this sub par service center as tomorrow I have to back back and my car has just 300Km before the 15k limit is crossed.

Anyways, service went average BUT when I started my journey back home, I found that the steering was not in the center when the car was moving straight. It was tilted about 8-10 degrees to right side. I immediately took a U-Turn and showed it to the service advisor. He called someone else who told me that now they have to open up the whole steering (airbag, horn pad, steering controls etc) and make it aligned in the center again. He said that "Its nothing, just that the guy who did steering alignment did not keep the steering in the middle". He further added that this is a small tilt so why don't you keep it this way?

I sort of pretended to take this without any anger. :)

I asked him if they can simply check the alignment again with steering in the center position. But he said that once a car's alignment is done with steering tilted, it can never be corrected.

Any idea how can I set things right?
  2. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    That is a nonsense argument. I recently had the same problem. They had rectified it.
    most important thing is whether the car follow straight line?
    If they again say the same take it to a professional out side TASS
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Yes. I wonder who gave them job of a service advisor when he does not know the basics.

I told him many times to do alignment again with steering in center position. But he didn't listen at all. No wonder why TATA cars like the Aria don't sell. They are good for just changing the filters and oils. Nothing else. :)
    1 person likes this.
  4. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    I suspect that he might have fed the wrong data. They have to choose the model also. Another doubt is whether 2012 models use the same specification for alignment
    as the earlier model. I don't know whether this make sense. Experts can answer.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Yashik bhai you should have smashed the SA head into Steering Wheel when he stated they have to open up all steering,airbag etc to correct the tilt. Forgodsake it's not a Maruti 800 where you have open the horn pad loosen the steering bolt and center the steering.
    Who was your SA, i am sure it was the one who was in Joshi earlier and attended my car last month.
  6. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Vijay, Do they have to touch the horn pad for alignment. Why they open it. In my case also the fellow corrected the tilt after opening the horn pad.
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks to our expert Vijay_Khasa, I got 3D alignment done from the shop recommended by him and the steering is back to the center.

One thing that I forgot to tell, when I went back with the complaint, my car was still in the parking outside the dealership. They opened the steering of another Bossa Nov White Grande Punto Emotion having the number 7115 mistaking it to be mine. They have no respect for the machines owned by someone. That's why it is said that never leave your car at the dealership for routine single day service.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Get your wheel alignment done from outside. Steering never gets tilted. Its the alignment that gets out (faulty) because of which we have to tilt the steering as per the guy whom I visited just now.
    1 person likes this.
  8. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    @sungoa
    The Steering should not be centered by removing the steering from it's place until and unless it was removed from car and then put again wrongly.As the steering is held in place by bolt and nut it can't move from it's place whatever you do unless one have 2.5 kg hands of Sunny Deol to twist the metal. The steering gets tilted when the alignment on one side is way out of specs.

The alignment should be ended on the computer after fully tightening the bolts and these ASS monkeys have habit of ending alignment first and than tightening the bolts. This leads to change in alignment data which results in tilt of steering.

Also if alignment was too out of specs the car should be moved 13-14 inches back and front before starting alignment and after completion and alignment should be checked again to confirm that it's within specs.
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    6 people like this.
  9. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    In my case I had done it at MRF. Usually they do a nice job. This time there was a new fellow and he didn't remove the wheel caps while doing the alignment and resulted in wrong data.He rectified it. I get the alignment done in every 5K irrespective of the routine service.
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Yashik, in case you got your alignment done can you share the alignment report. I need to use it as a reference. Does TASS share alignment readings?
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012