1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

steering not centeralised

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Nov 28, 2012.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I recently got my column changed in EW. I was getting thud thud sound on moving the steering left and right.The service manager pointed the issue with column, most probably UJ joint (his words).He applied for EW and on the day when the column was already opened another service adviser told me that there was not need to change the column as this sound is there in all Lineas and he demonstrated me in a new Linea parked.And after the change as expected the sound was still there.i asked him what was the need. He consoled me "But still k sir now ur car has a new column now for free, good for u".I had no words happy to get something new for free but still some doubts.

Now after the column change the steering is little off its not centralized that couldn't be observed after the column change . A alinement guy told me that the centering issue is very minute and it cant be adjusted from toe and it has to done from column.I tried getting it centralized once from TASS and once from outside but the issue still there.

Can settings in column effect he steering centralization, if some body can explain me.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I think you need to visit a better alignment shop. They should sort this out in a jiffy.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Actually there is a saying " Dont try to fix that ain't broken" .

Actually the OEM is the best quality and there is a chance that not so great quality may reach spare parts division. Its better to retain the OEM parts as far as possible.

Is your car pulling to left or right?
  4. bluepunter

bluepunter Amatore

Bangalore
    IMO alignment should solve this. I too had a similar slightly turned steering towards left. After an alignment I feel the centering is ok now.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    ]

U mean IMO hunter alignment.I have to find one in Mumbai. But even they will do toe adjustment and have got it done twice .It shouldn't happen that continuous toe adjustment damage its threads.

No actually its not its goes straight if the steering is positioned little left.The spare looked new and good.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Gurjinder do u think its just alignment issue or column setting issue.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Obviously spare is new. So it will look good. ITs the tolerances on the parts involved that are compromised sometimes. if the car goes straight then its just the steering fittment issue. Nothing related to alignment.
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Now I think the TASS will open the steering and adjust it from the steering knuckle.Will be taking the car on Tuesday.