1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Noise

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Dec 15, 2011.

1. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    My Steering column is making a 'TUNG TUNG' sound when its turned either ways. It came up first a month before and disappeared on its own after driving the car for a few kms. Later it reappeared and hasn't reduced yet. I am also getting a vibration on the steering and brake pedal along with this sound. On the outside its tough to find this sound but there is a prominent vibration on the side panels( where the side indicators are placed). There is no other change in the behavior of the steering. There are no noises while going over potholes either. It seems to be associated with steering only. Is this also due to worn out elastic pads? Also whats the approximate cost of this part? My car will be 5 years old this november but with only 30k on the odo.
  2. OCTANE

OCTANE Amatore

Cochin
    Hey can some one help me out here please? Have a long journey coming up for tomorrow and would also like to know more about the issue before heading to the service centre. Again this noise doesn't seem to be consistent. Yesterday when I checked the sound was lower.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even I had this sound, and after multiple attempt, it was rectified in my last servicing.

First thing it is not a serious issue, so continue your drive plan. Initially elastic pads were replaced, but sound came back after sometime. This time lots of items were replaced (don't remember the list), cost was around 11K or so.

EDIT
    Found it, here is the details - http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/my-red-punto-now-wolf-remapped.164/page-18#post-841912424.

Mods Note - All similar thraeds are merged.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  4. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    My Palio MJD also makes the same sound 'tic-tac' when turned extreme right/left. The FASS told me that it was problem with the axle. They can only replace it that's a costly affair but is repairable outside. I'm in a dilemma what to do and have started ignoring the sound. Any advice shall be helpful. I believe it's the plastics or rubbers that's got worn out (41k on the odo after 6 years). The axle perhaps is okay and they just want to make money by fooling
  5. This is for general information if you face jerks in steering:
    I was facing jerks in steering after installation of ground clearance kit. Found out that the power steering belt was loose. Got it changed for INR 1600 and problem is gone for now. My elastic pads were changed under warranty 18 months back as I was getting 'chrrrrrr' sound from left suspension while turning steering.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 9, 2014 ---
    Amit - where is the sound coming from? If it is from steering wheel while turning right or left then do not worry. It is the sound of indicator stalk cut out switch which is common in Palio. I had this sound for almost two years on my palio. Just live with it.

If the noise is coming from the floor then get your arm and axle inspected asap.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  6. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    thank you Kapil
  7. Rahul Grover

Rahul Grover Timido

Faridabad
    Faridabad
    Linea T-Jet
    Hey guys
    After reading and going thru all the post I my problem is a mixed bag, my t jet is barely two months old and has clocked 2600km, I recently noticed that when I turn the wheel full and leave it , it can do a feww mm more for which it needs a little force, at this point of time the tone of my engine changes during idling , I should say it sounds strained and add to that there is some oil leakge on the road which I can clearly make out. I don't know what to make of it,
  8. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    hi
    when I drive over pothole filled roads I hear a steering rattle .the rattling can be felt up to the steering wheel.Mine is a 2011 punto mjd. Recently I replaced both swing arms both link roads and checked anti roll bar bushes. I have already bought tie rods for both sides inner and outer. Should I replace them now? Is there a chance of any hps assembly loose mountings? Please share your experience guys. Any other parts I should check? Sound is not there always and I cant recreate it. Its 50k km on the odo and there is no Fass nearby.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Its complete normal....