1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Noise

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Dec 15, 2011.

1. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai

Are you going to try something to rectify this?
  2. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    after the wheel balancing this has reduced much and when I am in bad roads i face this grinning noise. as of now I am not in a position to check out this.

it happens only in the bad, rough roads and as per my assumption this might be because of tyres. I will check once I am back to chennai after two weeks.
  3. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    but the problem of brannewpunter is different than that of allignment.
    may be any screw is left unattended on the steering assembly or in the odo meter console.

@brandnewpunter: please take your car to TASS & take a appointment for the same and told them that you can not able to drive the car with this noise.
    That is annoying you from enjoying the ride of car.
  4. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    I took the car to the A.S.S today and the SA is not ready to honor warranty for the elastic pads.
    He said it will come @ around 3.8K per piece. My car is running at 34K Kms.
    AFAIK this should be covered under warranty till i clock 35k, am i correct?
  5. Try contacting Mangesh for clarification, My pads were replaced twice with in 35K
  6. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    I guess you did from Bangalore.
    My car is in Kerala and i visited TASS in Cochin today.
    I will try to get in touch with Mangesh through email.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  7. PankajJoshi

PankajJoshi Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Linea 1.4
    My Linea (4.5 years / 27K kms) has noise while turning steering. This started after I drove through 9-12 inches of water in rains over a month back. The loise was loud initially and could be hard even while driving / taking turns, but has reduced significantly over time and can be heard only the car is idle and you want to hear it deliberately. It's like parts of a rusty ball bearing grinding against each other.

Got the car checked up at the free service camp at Butta Hyderabad last weekend. I was told this is due to steering mount, which needs to be replaced cost ~7K.

Should I be bothered about it. Annual service due in December.

Any one faced similar issues?
  8. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Few things to check are

1. Power steering oil levels, if its low you will hear the similar sound.
    2. Elastic pads worn out status.
    3. Reck and pinnion status, if its leaking oil.

I have also gone through same with 1.4 Fire (4yrs+ old car) and the SA suggested Elastic pad replacement.
  9. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I had a problem with steering wheel. Couple of months back was getting loud kat noise only while turning right e.g. u-turn. I went to KHT Service center, and they immediately said its a shock-absorber lubrication problem. After lubrication problem vanished immediately. But in recent days I noticed different sound similar to a mouse click while turning wheel in either direction. Today when I showed this problem to KHT, they opened the steering wheel, said its headlight stalk switch issue. IT was interfering with steering movement. They fixed the issue without any part replacement and the sound is gone.
  10. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I too get this same sound as reported above by VARIN11. The wheels pull sideways sometimes (left or right), especially on rough stretches or uneven asphalt. The FASS here says that it's an issue with the axle. My MJD will be 6 years old and has clocked 39594 till date. A fair advice will be of immense help! Got new shoes on. Alignment and balancing done and are perfect. No lower arm issue as they are new.