1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Noise

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Dec 15, 2011.

1. samartha

samartha

NOIDA, India
    I own a 2011 GP Diesel. While steering right, I notice a slight squeaky noise. It doesn't sound like metal-on-metal and is barely noticeable at low speeds. When I steer the car left, the movement is completely noiseless.

What could be the reason? Do I need to get this checked straightaway? The regular service appointment is more than 5k km away.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Must be the elastic pads on the suspension acting up.
    Needs a visit to the service station, but not a very urgent one.
  3. Humble advice is to not to go to TASS for this, all they know is to fill the elastic pads with grease,get this done by trusted mechanic.
  4. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Guys who had replaced the elastic pad, how is the stock availability?

I have a "GRRRR" of noise from Front LH Side while turning the steering and only noticeable standstill.
    Just a doubt i am having, is it the rotating strut rubbing with the mount to cause a noise, or it could be from the rack setup as well?
    I am yet to visit an A.S.S.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The problem area is the rusting of the elastic pads and the reason if no elastic pads cover is installed.Once u have the new pads installed dont forget the cover for them to last long.

The major reason the pads were not lasting long was rusting due to getting in contact with water etc.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    Thanks Varin. The covers are available with the service center?
  7. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    ^^ Caps should be available. I took my car to TASS two weeks ago with this noise issue and they greased the suspension parts, put in the caps as mine was the old version without caps, and let me off in about 45mins and charged around 350/- all inclusive.
  8. sandeep.12

sandeep.12 Amatore

Bangalore
    I will give a shot to get that greased.
    BTW, can you please share from where in TVM you got that done. Kulathunkal or Mohandas?
    My Punto is in TVM and I need to travel during the weekend for this.
  9. brandnewpunter

brandnewpunter Amatore

Chennai
    From the time I took delivery there is this noise (sounds like spring moving from one place to another as the vehicle moves) coming from the steering. This has not affected the performance of the steering in any way but I was concerned and asked the SA and he told me it sounds like small particles of sand or something and there is nothing to be concerned. He said this can be checked during first service as it will require some elaborate work. Should I be worried?

Also there is this noise coming from left front wheel. It sounds like a 10 tonner crushing the road. I know the punto is heavy but nowhere near 10 tonnes. I hope you can imagine the sound. This sound occurs when travelling at 40-60. Also the vehicle feels like it's pulling to the right though I have not confirmed this 100%
  10. dhans4all

dhans4all Amatore

Chennai
    I had the same kind of feel and with steering wobble at 85kmph. felt the vibrationin steering wheel and could feel it starts from left front wheel.

after the wheel balancing the noise and vibration gone but still feel the same crushing sound when i am going in the bad road. if the road is smooth I dont find any issues.

I dont find an left or right pulling issue, no steering wobble but this vibration,the occational grinning/crushing noise from front left tyre in bad road is occuring, some time rough roads ( even road seems nice).
    1 person likes this.