1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Noise

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Dec 15, 2011.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    No. There was play & kut-kut noise when rock-n-roll steering . So they replaced steering rack.

But humming noise as per variation of engine RPM still exist. It is noticable clearly below 1500 RPM.

After replacing steering rack, kut-kut noise vanished.But humming noise is still there.

Now another noise I detected.At car stationery if I hold RPM @2000 RPM & make rock-n-roll steering, kiiii.... noise is there.

The sound is same when we steer the steering to its extreme position L/R. This kiii... noise is acceptable only when we steer steering wheel at extreme.
    Butt why this noise prior to extreme L / R position of steering wheel ?

After owing 2MJD my conclusion is that Indian GP suffers lot of quality issues due heavy localisation of spare parts
    Seats, CSC, A/c , 'O' rings, packing& gaskets, steering rack,Elastic pads, switches,door biddings. List is huge
    Only soul of car is great. MJD engine is the only one quality. Remaining all have average quality
    I used great FIAT UNO w/o any issue for 9 years
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    bhai i am still using my uno. 13 years and over 2l kms. current fiats can never produce the same quality
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Humming noise converts slightly whining between idle to 1300 RPM

I checked compared noise with a video on youtube.com

My prediction seems right. It's bad HPS pump. HPS oil is leaking on outside of reserviour even I close lid tight. Means HPS oil is jumping due defective return valve of HPS pump & due to jumping of oil,reserviour is getting messy & oily.

One most differance i noticed after replacing rack is I am not getting steering feedback. Steering has become little hard but still comfortable.

I will visit ASS & update.
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The rack which was fitted around 3 months back had developed play / leak so new rack and pinion was installed and the noise is not there now.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    The rack which was fitted around 3 months back had developed play / leak so new rack and pinion was installed and the noise is not there now.The sound was not coming from pads .
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    You are right. There is some quality issue in rack of GP & Linea.

Yesterday I also noticed excessive play & again kut-kut noise in my steering rack which was replaced just before 15 days.

Sona Koyo, Chennai is the vendor of steering rack.

Fiat was installing steering rack made by Rane steering pvt. Ltd

Rane is famous for quality. I think someone else is taking bribe/commission for sanctioning substanderd quality spare parts.

This type of incidence may happen even in private sector.

P.S. - That,s why Govt. has passed bill ' Prevention of corruption' for private sector.

---------- Post added at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

You are right. There is some quality issue in rack of GP & Linea.

Yesterday I also noticed excessive play & again kut-kut noise in my steering rack which was replaced just before 15 days.

Sona Koyo, Chennai is the vendor of steering rack.

Fiat was installing steering rack made by Rane steering pvt. Ltd in UNO & PALIO

Rane is famous for quality. I think someone else is taking bribe/commission for sanctioning substanderd quality spare parts.

This type of incidence may happen even in private sector.

P.S. - That,s why Govt. has passed bill ' Prevention of corruption' for private sector.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    @bhai,

Sono koyo makes steering racks for a whole lot of cars made in India and is preferred supplier of maruti. They dont have much complaints.

Abdul
  8. Hi All,

My MJD has completed 36 K and off late I have observed some grinding noise when the steering is turned either ways; mainly in stand still position. Could it be the tie rods or bearings?
  9. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Or may be elastic pad.

I had same sound and SA pointed to elastic pad. After change, its perfectly working fine.
  10. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi

Take the car to tasc asap. Suspension warranty is valid only upto 35k KM. Try to get it done under warranty