1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Noise

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hello Nikhil,

Pl chk the steering oil. I have got the same problem. I checked the steering oil it was only 15 % left and i refilled it then the problem disappeared immediately.
  2. Tron

Tron Superiore

Mumbai
    Hey nikhil, don't worry much its common in all Lineas & Puntos.

Reason - Our cars come up with HPS system i.e. HYDRAULIC POWER STEERING. and you can find it in all hydraulic powered systems.
    These hydraulic steerings don't like to be rotate fully. If you do so they start sounding ''kirrrr..''
    Its not Manufacturing defect. It is the way how hydraulic system works.
    you'll get yoused to it.
  3. After a bottle of HPS fluid, there is a definite leakage of oil from power steering. Have to sort out immediately!! Prob with HPS within 3 months :(
  4. Toruk_Macto

Toruk_Macto Amatore

Ghatkopar-Mumbai
    I have a similar problem. I asked one of the TASS guy over the phone. He said it's the strut mount issue which will be resolved in a day. He says it's a common issue in punto for certain batches. Now a days, punto comes with upgraded strut mount. It will be replaced FOC. My first service is due in few days. I will get it done that time.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  5. I went to service center and they sd there is problem in power steering control but didnt get booking for today. I have to go only on monday. But the guy sd not to drive the car if the sound comes, which is when the fluid becomes less :(
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @ raajravi17

You are right! Noise is due to excessive play in steering gear i.e. steering rack

I have also this noise. I am getting steering rack replacement in warrantee.
  7. @ bhai,

Even i am facing same prob Steering rack problem. But these guys do not have stock and told me it will take 10 days to get the part till then :eek:, I will chk with VST Motors. But had plans for trip which need to be dropped.
  8. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    my linea creates a quite distinct humm when idling. i can feel that it is the HPS. the car is otherwise very silent on idling but the HPS spoils the feeling. any petrol owners have a similar noise.
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I was also getting this humming noise on idle. Especially at cold start & in the mild warm up od engine.If sound persists then it may be due to noisy bearing of HPS pump. Coz I had checked it once.I do slowly rock-n-roll of steering. That time this humming noise was varying as per rotataion of steering wheel.Today I got Steering rack replaced in warrantee. Tommorrow at morning I will check it & update.
  10. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    what was the reason for replacing the steering rack?? same here the noise varies when we turn the steering.