1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Noise

Discussion in 'Technical' started by varin11, Dec 15, 2011.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    when i move my steering little left and right there is some faint click click noise.The TASS guy opened the steering screwp and tried to adjust the round white plastic meant for horn.it moves with the steering he said and it comes with combination switch.He told me that it is the plastic noise may be its loose.he adjusted and noise was gone for some time and now the noise is again come.My linea is 2 1/2years old and run 56000 kms.any body getting the similar issue.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  2. eldrid

eldrid Amatore

London, United Kingdom
    London, United Kingdom
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I guess that noise is normal as i have had that right from day 1. its a faint clicking sound on turning the steering wheel i always assumed it to be normal. haven't had any major steering related issues yet. the car is a year and a half old
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Ya I never had this problem.It just started few weeks back.Let see because u don't get the horn plastic plate separate it comes with combination switch and it cost 2500.
  4. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I recently got my rack changed after 56000 Kms in my linea MJD, march 2009 under extended warranty.The rack was giving all sort of noises while driving.Although after the change the noise has stopped but little "thud thud" noise is there when u move steering little left and right.The TASS guy told me that its worn out elastic pad noise, which was changed around a year back and since then (after the change of pads) i have driven 13000 kms.

He also showed the rusted elastic pads when the suspension was opened for rack change. They could not open the screws of pads as well as strut as they were rusted.H made me touch the shocker spring while turning steering to make me feel the vibrations pointing to elastic pad problem

To my understanding elastic pad noise come when u move the steering full and mostly noise comes from engine bay.Here even little movement from left right of steering I can hear the noise Thud thud.

Kindly let me know the problem area for the noise.Is it elastic pads or new rack itself.
  5. keshav

keshav

Bangalore
    My car had similar issue. It was traced to worn out elastic pads. I could hear the sound even with partial movement of steering. Both the elastic pads were replaced two weeks ago. Noise was gone for a while. However the sound has resurfaced and the SA suspects the new one is rusted. They don't have the elastic pads in stock and i'm still waiting :(.
  6. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Even i got my elastic pads changed at 7.7k kms.I know u guys might be thinking so early?? Yes so early!! The steering was making sound on rotating so got it done under warranty.
  7. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Man the elastic pad issue is not getting over at all.My car is now under extended warranty so I have to bear the cost of faulty part.I got the pads changed 12 months back and since then I have done 13000 Kms only.MY ORIGINAL PADS LASTED for almost 42000 Kms.I got them changed in Bharati auto, Bombay.I doubt these guys changed the part or just lubricated it because how they can get rusted so fast if the original pads didn't.You have to really physically inspect them when they change.
  8. shakesin

shakesin Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have the same problem, waiting for stock availability, wonder if they should rust, wear out so early, mine started at 20k.
    Shake
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Am planning to get the pads from Kava motors selling at Rs. 1400 per pair way below the price of dealer the new design and get them installed outside.
  10. Nikhil Goel

Nikhil Goel Amatore

I also started getting some noise in my steering when i turn it to full left or right. a sound of "KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" starts coming.
    Please suggest if anyone else is also facing same issue.