1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering mounted control up button did not work, complete steering changed

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by pv_krish, Sep 26, 2014.

1. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I had reported a problem with the "up" button on the right side of the streering mounted controls not working. Had reported this problem earlier, about 4 months back, but in the service station it was happening inconsistently.

About a month back, the problem was very evident and the up button was working so inconsistently that, while shifting to the next song, it would switch the mode itself, when a last call is made, the up button would dial the last call number.

Went to the service station about 3 weeks back. They checked my warranty and placed the order for a new steering wheel. Last Tuesday got a call informing that the new steering wheel had arrived.

Left the car yesterday. After verification with the warranty people, the steering wheel was replaced and the car was handed over today.

The feel of the new leather wrapped steering wheel is amazing. The car is filled with the smell of the new leather.

Will post the photos tomorrow.
  2. himanshu4886

himanshu4886 Regolare

Ahmedabad
    Linea 1.3
    Do post some pics of new steering wheel. Its good that you got a replacement in warranty.

No repair was done by FASS, it can be minor connection problem.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I'm facing this issue now. Mentioned to SA in last service, 2 weeks back. He did "B&M adjust" as a solution. Does not work.
    Guess I will have to go by changing steering wheel.
  4. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Here is the picture of the new steering wheel.

The problem with the USB system in fiat is that the songs cannot be changed anywhere else apart from the steering mounted controls. So the wear is maximum to the up button. Also, the songs will be played only sequentially and we cannot choose a folder to play the songs. Hope this has been taken care in the new punto evo. IMG_20140927_112228.jpg
    caffeineam and himanshu4886 like this.
  5. himanshu4886

himanshu4886 Regolare

Ahmedabad
    Linea 1.3
    @pv_krish: this is the biggest flaw in stock HU. Also co passenger can not change the song. I find it bit unusual as HU always have a button to change the tracks.

The display also do not show the name of the song. Only MID has all the information.
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    It is becoming more like a Formula one steering wheel!!. Technology loaded leads to unserviceable parts.

Abdul
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    I find it a bit strange that for a non working switch the entire steering assembly needed to be changed. But thats Fiat way of doing things, they call it perfection.:banghead::wtf:
    pv_krish likes this.
  8. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You can browse through the folders in the USB drive, in fact you can go to a folder and then navigate to any particular song of our choice in the folder. This is very much possible.

Gradually at every Service stations (irrespective of brand), 'repair' concept is becoming extinct with 'replacement' being the order of the day.
  9. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @punto_emotion, could you please shed more light on how is can be done from the steering mounted controls and from the HU?

I tried all the options in the HU, invain. Infact I do not see any option for USB in the HU. From the steering mounted controls, all I can do is changing the source. While on the move, the button used to pick the calls and do the settings does not display the options for USB.

Using a apple device works all the more worse.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 27, 2014 ---
    Its not just fiat's way, all manufactures are doing the same thing. Repairing and using are the days of the past and it seems as though none are qualified enough these days.

Rightly said. The replacement concept is a way of business and achieving the target, else how do you meet the targets, and the manufacturers want it this way. This is their source of revenue.
    ghodlur likes this.
  10. King CM

King CM Amatore

Bangalore
    @pv_krish : It can be done by selecting media player->usb options->Folder. The media player menu gets listed in same list as the last calls, phonebook, settings etc.
    Hope this helps.

- CM
    pv_krish likes this.