1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Steering Issue not getting resolved

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by gauravbatla, Apr 19, 2014.

1. gauravbatla

gauravbatla Novizio

Mumbai
    Hi All,

I am having a strange issue with my steering. It keeps rotating right/left while driving (especially at high speeds) and as soon as you hit the smallest of bumps it turns on either side. Sometimes the car pulls towards right and others left. The steering also doesn't seem to be behaving irratically since as soon as i turn it even 5 degrees, the car turns almost violently.

I have got alignment done multiple times, got front shock absorbers as well as elastic pads changed but things do not seem to be improving. I took it to Fiat service as well, and they seem to have a view that it's because of the front tyres not being of the same make (one being bridgestone and other goodyear but both of which are in pretty decent condition though) although the rear tyres are definitely worn out.

A tyre alignment guy said that i should get two new tyres and put them in the front, and put the front ones in the rear. Though i am OK with it, but not sure if this would solve the issue or he is just trying to sell me new tyres.

Is it possible that the shock absorber/pads change could have done it because of fitting not being done properly since i got them done at a local garage?

Going Crazy over this and also concerned of the safety issues that come with car :(
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Front tires should ideally be of same pattern try exchanging rear and front tires.
    Also check lower arm ball joint, anti roll bar bushes, steering tie rod and tie rod ends.

New tires should always be in rear search on google for more information on understeer and oversteer and role of tires in it.
  3. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanx Gaurav!

Recently I got replaced steering rack. Same problem is also exists in my new rack.

Steering is not light. There is still play and noise in new Rack. I have changed rack of my 90 HP twice.
    But sorry to state that I got faulty rack for both time. As I mentioned somewhere FIAT is using low quality rack.

Brand is 'Sona'. Someone has mentioned that brand 'Sona' is being used my Maruti also. So there is not possibility of faulty material from Fiat. But I am inviting attention to that Maruti is not using rack made by 'Sona'.

MSIL is using steering rack made by 'Showa'. IMO 'Sona' have bad quality steering rack
  4. gauravbatla

gauravbatla Novizio

Mumbai
    Sona is I guess sona koyo steerings based in north which supplies to Maruti as well. They are owned by Sanjay kapur (husband of Karishma kapoor) family if I'm not wrong. In fact I loved my steering on my Maruti swift. Disappointed with Linea

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  5. gauravbatla

gauravbatla Novizio

Mumbai
    Thanks Vijay. I asked service center to check the same but they didn't. Ideally they should have. Will take it to anohlther service center and get it checked soon

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  6. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

You are the first one who is bashing hydraulic power steering. Only HPS can give steering feedback.

Steering of MSIL is electronic one which is light but no steering feedback. It revolves like a video game joystick.
    Steering feedback means while spinning steering wheel you should get judgment that
    how much wheels are turning as per change in rounds of steering wheel.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    AFAIK Fiat racks are made by TRW atleast my 09 Linea MJD have a TRW unit and have faced no issues till now (1,18,000 kms) with either rack or tie rods and its ends.
  8. gauravbatla

gauravbatla Novizio

Mumbai
    Infact, I prefer it this way. Most of driving is in city conditions and heavy traffic so EPS works smoother than HPS. But it's a matter of personal preference i guess

- - - Merged Post - - -

OK. Do you recommend checking all these despite having no noise from the front end of the car? there is no noise even when i turn the steering right or left. So not sure if this is an issue with the steering or any other parts or tyres themselves.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Noises would be heard only when they have completely failed and have huge play.
    First check by exchanging either tires from another car at dealership or by exchanging front and rear tires of your car and if problem doesn't solve even then you have no choice left and would have to check suspension and steering components one by one.
  10. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    Totally Agree ,Steering fedback is highest selling point of fiat cars , Its one of major the reason that fiat lovers can't settle with Hyundai , Honda , Maruti Steering

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014