1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Startup problems

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Rituraj, Oct 29, 2012.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I have a random starting problem on the 90HP. Battery is fine, no error messages. Car wouldn't start the first time but once the key is turned off and then again to MAR and cranked, the car starts without a fuss.

Am not sure what is to be checked as FASS guys are clueless. Can it be the fuel pump or something else like the injectors?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

@DRIV3R, Why not try to change the fuel station? . Probably the initial heating is not enough to start up and hence the second operation responding. Maybe because of poor quality fuel. Dont go deep into the problem as long as the car is starting . Sometimes many errors resolve on their own. This is my experience.

You can find good fuel pumps in good residential areas with customers who are high end and educated and knowledgeable. The fear of getting reported is high and also the kind of vehicles that come in to fill are expensive too and poor quality shows up easily in those sensitive vehicles. This is my understanding.

Abdul
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Abdul, I fill only from reputed bunks like Woodlands IOC, RK Salai, Ekayars BP, T Nagar, and a reputed HP bunk in my hometown owned by an automobile association. Both cars fill from same stations and this problem is only on the 90HP. So we can safely rule out bad fuel I guess.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Yeah, I agree they are all a good selection of bunks. A similar problem happened to my 75 Hp and it resolved on its own. I was just sharing it:)

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Not really, once the engine starts, there is no issue with engine stalling abruptly. After about 11k kms, the engine is now nicely refined.
  6. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Here's an update on the issue- Today my car returned from its 3rd free service. I had categorically asked the SA to look into the startup issue. Unfortunately, the problem didn't show up even once while the car was in the dealership. As part of the third free service, the air filter and fuel filter was changed. Engine oil was replaced with Castrol Professional Edge 5W-40 grade synthetic oil and other fluids were topped up. The starter motor was checked and found ok . The ECU was connected and the following errors were found -

P0657 - Congruence of main relay battery voltage upstream/downstream
    P0335 - Engine speed signal
    P0087 - Press, on injector support

As per the SA, these detected errors were corrected by the software itself. As ridiculous as it sounded, I didn't have any other option than taking his word. After the completion of the service procedure and the checkup, the startup issue didn't show up at the dealership. I returned home, and the problem was back again- the car again didn't start at the first attempt. I am now clueless and so are the idiots at TASS. Any suggestions? Do I escalate to Fiat?
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  7. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    1 person likes this.
  8. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    I assume the above ECU errors are cleared at the TASS, since the problem happened again it is worth a try to rescan the ECU for any errors and if there are any errors it will give a clue to the startup problem that just occurred .
    1 person likes this.
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Why was Castrol used instead of Selenia?

I too have a random starting trouble and my suspect is the injectors too. Get the errors checked again and get the injectors replaced under warranty as it is a costly affair.
  10. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    I am tired asking this question to TASS every time during service and every time I get the same answer that Castrol is what they have been asked to use on Fiats. No argument stating that the manual exclusively states that only Selenia should be used works with these idiots.