1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Starting Troubles

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by arishi, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Hi All,

My Punto is now 5 years old with 71K on the Odo. Very recently I am getting Starting problem with the car. In the morning when I start the car it works just brilliant, single turn of key and the engine comes to life. I drive to Powai (approx. 25 KM) to my office without any issues. The car works brilliant no lag no issues with AC, Music System or Horn etc. When I reach the office, if I turn of the car and try to restart, it won't start. There is no cranking that happens. If I leave the car like that for an hour or so and then give it a try, the car behaves normal and starts again. I have got the battery checked, it seems to be good. Any ideas on what could be the root cause?
  2. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I might be wrong, but ask the service center guys to check for the started motor.
  3. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Im having the same issue for the past few days. Battery is perfect. RDC guys couldn't figure out the problem. Any idea??
  4. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
  5. have given the car to Balaji Autoworld at Thane. The SA is saying, I would need to change the Starter Motor. Any ideas what is the cost of a new Starter?
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Read few posts here - http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/timing-chain-replacement.6694/page-36#post-841910842. Since your car is 71K kms run, and if you have not changed timing chain yet, keep an eye there as well.
  7. @Ravi thanks for this, I have got the timing chain changed at around 62K.
    Ravi likes this.
  8. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    When was the last time you changed your car's battery?
  9. aashish_19

aashish_19 Amatore

Noida
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Check for loose connection as due to this required voltage doesn't reached to respective area for start up. In your case, don't know if this can help out but i do have similar kind of issue thrice in 3k-5k Kms old car of mine and last one was towing car to nearby service station and when i asked they simply said that the connection was loose and proper voltage was not reaching to desired part to get the car in start mode.
  10. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If you car is starting after an hour or so, I may not suspect starter motor at the beginning. This reminds me of one incident happened with me. Having done first Free service, I was on my way to office on the next day. Everything was fine untill I switched off the engine at a signal. Same thing happened, it refused to start, no crank. Tried 4-5 times but in vein. But then I had to get down from the vehicle to divert vehicles behind me. I called up SC road assistance. To add to my bad luck, they said it would take at least one-n-half hr even when I wasnt very far. I thought of giving a try one more time. To my surprise, car started without any issue. One thing which happened during all of these events was I removed the key to get down and lock the car. I thought it had something to do with system reset. I took the car to SC and asked them to scan the ECU for error. Even though I told them clearly that I want to know the error, they came back and said sir dont worry we have cleared all the errors (I am sure even they didn't read it). I didnt face this issue after that.

Try this out, instead of waiting for an hour just remove the key and insert it back after 15-20 seconds. Just to make sure its same issue which I faced.