1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Starting trouble with 1.3 MultiJet(After fair time of running)

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Ajith, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Ajith

Ajith

Calicut
    Dear Guys,
    Facing starting trouble with our Punto Active(1.3L MultiJet), 3 yr old(18,000km). Not a cold start, Issue occurs when car running a fair distance about 40kms or so. If we stop and start again, it won't. After 5-6 tries, it will and some times need more attempts. Battery changed to a fresh one(suggested by the FIAT service). Consulted the Fiat Service 4-5 times, kept the vehicle for service many times. They couldn't solve it yet. Can anyone help???:confused
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    What are the FASS people saying? Were they able to diagnose anything? It can be alternator or few more things which come into play while cranking .
  3. Ajith

Ajith

Calicut

They said- checked the cranking, pump system, but couldn't identify the issue. Said they cleaned the couplers as well but of no use. The issue happens only after running some time and not all the time, they said it is difficult to identify the issue since they need to connect the system exactly when the issue happens. I am not a technical expert, I should believe their words. And They suggested, it could be some electrical wiring system error, but no confirmation.:(
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Looks like an issue with Started motor. Check the starter motor, get it serviced or replaced.

Note to Mods: please fix the thread title spelling.
  5. Ajith

Ajith

Calicut
    The issue do not occur in the start of the day. 95%, it occurs after running some distance. And after 4-5 cranking, it starts. Once, it took 30 mins to start again. From my view, it started after cooling down something. Thy checked the Starter motor as well..
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    How old is the car. I suggest you escalate the call to Fiat via email. A good bet is to email Mangesh Kodalkar. Use emails in threaded mode like in gmail.

In some cases starter motor works after armature cools down. A new set of brushes and new solenoid should fix this issue. However this is just one possibility. Other issues could be there.
  7. Ajith

Ajith

Calicut
    Can I have Mangesh Kodalkar's/ or any concerned persons email ID. mail failed to deliver to mangesh.kodalkar@fiapl.com

Car is 3 yr old and run 18000kms.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2014
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Use Fiat, instead of Fiapl, in email to Mangesh.
  9. dnyaneshdivekar

dnyaneshdivekar Timido

PUNE
    this is certainly starter motor problem.I have similar problem with my MJD Linea. Changed Battery checked alternater,checked voltage so many times its ok.
    Problem is that car start without hassle when engine is cool but it wont when it becomes hot. Problem in my car has stopped since last 1 month as temp has dropped.it gave me lot of trouble in summer.Fiat starter motor are made from valeo.Visit some local starter repair workshop they will repair it or change motor directly.
    OTHER OPTION YOU CAN TRY IS SWITH OFF YOUR CAR GET YOUR KEY OUT PUT THE CAR IN THIRD GEAR ,GET OUT OF THE CAR AND PUSH THE CAR BACK ATLEAST 1/2 FEET. THIS WILL SOLVE PROBLEM UP TO SOME EXTEND . THIS HAS HELPED ME.
  10. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Can you please explain how this helps and logic behind this.