1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Start of a new Chapter with my - Italian Mini Rocket

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by Sapam, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    On 24th December 2014, I finally took the delivery of my car "Fiat Punto Evo 90hp, Magnesio Grey".
    For Accessories, I got the Chrome Silencer Extension and the Door Sill. Though, I personally didn't liked the Door Sill.
    It was about 7:30pm when I drove out my car from the Showroom (Fiat Caffe, Bangalore).
    Felt exited as well as nervous taking this beauty home for the first time.

Next day early morning took it to the Vinayak Temple at AECS Layout, Bangalore for the Puja.
    The same evening took the car on the NH4 for a stretched ride.
    Again, next day took the car for another ride to NH4.
    And Finally on Sunday, I took my ride to Nandi Hills for a day Picnic, with my family.
    The drive to the Nandi Hills was great, and the car climbed the Hill without breaking any sweat.

Due to my mistake I stalled the car negotiating a very very steep slop ( well above 20 degree slope ) inside the Fort at Nandi Hill. I was very cautious not to rev the engine very hard ( well, I hardly revved ) when I Stopped the car at the Steep Slope and tried launching without using any gas. Seems I was going too gentle with the clutch. I have been driving a petrol car and on hills I use to ride the clutch while starting off. But with diesel I found the behavior not same in the sense that during the transition of Clutch and Accelerator, the rpm refuse to rise and stalls. Maybe, I am not doing the right thing and was over cautious. People driving diesel on the Ghats can give me some tips for hill start. For info I ran AC 100%.

Except for the stalling incident, the trip was fabulous and the downhill was executed rarely using the brake. The gears did a fantastic job. The trip was about 150km for me and the Average consumption I got was 16.1 kmpl. Well, while coming back on the Bangalore-Hyd highway, I couldn't resist and ran the 5th Gear around 2500 rpm occasionally reaching 100-110 kph. I held back my temptation at that for now, can't claim I can hold back next time. So far I have done 505 kms in 3 days.

aeb50d3a81de7c718e7eea85b8f28008.jpg 7792d72afc15473098c4501d28028bde.jpg 7761f576a9ee4e222391c41490899bf5.jpg 49e276ba2f31361caf7792a6f687e2ba.jpg 32c3384eabf08260a69bed9db7e352e8.jpg 6ba752dd8ab5b5d614c9cd39dc3125f3.jpg 1f0e556ee4dfa36367184548f5a69ee4.jpg
    aeb50d3a81de7c718e7eea85b8f28008.jpg

Well I wouldn't mention the Pros and my Liking as there has been a lot of them mentioned by others.
    So, I'll point out some the negatives I have found.
    1. The Headlight Stalk sometimes accidentally rotates to OFF, while using the temporarily Hi Beam.
    2. The Climate Control always sets the circulation mode to AUTO if I switch the AC to OFF and then ON. Kind of annoying if I the AUTO happens to suck in Air instead of Circulating Inside in peak Traffic.
    3. The plastic edge at the bottom Right of the dashboard has very sharp edge.
    4. The rubber strips at the Doors-Windows, don't have great fit and finish at the ends.
    5. (non serious point) In my Son's opinion the Alloys looks like Baby Bottle ( still figuring out how ).

Below are my finding of the car's behavior:
    In B2B Traffic the car pulls without using the accelerator.
    Even while climbing the Ramp from my Basement parking I hardly have to press the Accelerator to climb up the Ramp in 1st Gear. Haven't tried doing that with no Accelerator Input. Will perfect the Hill Climb Start before trying that.
    Any Suggestion on the best technique to do Hill Climb Start with Diesel Car?

In the City/Plain Driving here is what I found.
    Gear 1: good for getting the car moving and crawling up steep slopes/Ramp. Also good to run over the multiple pipes speed breakers.
    Gear 2: effective @1k-2k+ rpm
    and good for going over most of the speed breakers except the Made in India Suspension breakers. For that there is Gear 1.
    Gear 3: effective @1.5k-2k+ rpm
    Gear 4: effective @1.5k-2k+ rpm
    Gear 5: effective @1.5k-2k+ rpm

The one thing I noticed is that at any gear except gear 1 & 2, below 1.5k rpm is no fun and weak. But if I maintain 1.5k+ rpm for gear 3,4,5 the car respond very well, rather exceptionally well and feel like a mini rocket.

On hills the required min RPM increased by about 500.
    So, in any gear I had to maintain 2000rpm to be in command of the power. Though 2nd Gear can survive with 1.5k+rpm.

I am still trying to communicate with the car and understand its envelope.

On the funnier side, I haven't washed my car yet. Any advice on the Shampoo and technique, I stay near Whitefield Bangalore and the water is really hard.

I shall post more pics and reports as I continue my journey with my Mini Rocket.
    sandipan_r15, limraj, Ganges and 7 others like this.
  2. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Congrats for your mini rocket. The car looks fab in grey. There are many well known shampoos available in the market like Sonax, Amway etc. I have personally used Sonax and was happy with the results. Ensure that there are no droplets of water / damp spot after you wipe the car. This will help in prevention of rusting. Also, paint detailing experts (like 3M, Car Care etc) provide paint protection treatment. Do check and get it done if your budget permits.

Since you are migrating from a petrol car, it would take some time to get used to low end torque of the diesel mill. Dont worry, its just matter of practice / usage. Try avoiding burning the clutch through half clutch method as far as possible. Don worry, even if you have to revv the MJD to higher rpms occasionally. Maintaining right RPM is the key for ghat / hill driving. If the MJD mill is kept running in its sweet spot, then you will not face any problem while climbing the hill.
    prabhjot likes this.
  3. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    Lovely write-up. This is a very nice color for Punto. It wud look more classy and elegant on the Grande Punto.
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Very Beautiful pics @Sapam !!

Congrats for the mini Rocket!
  5. Sapam

Sapam Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    That's exactly what I noticed while driving up the ghats. No need to do half clutch if I maintain 2k+ rpm, the car pulls effortlessly, something I never experienced with Petrol Car.

I still need to master pulling off from stand still at steep slope. What I have been hearing/know so far is to use the clutch bite point to hold the car in the slope and prevent it from rolling point. I use to do that a lot with my Petrol car in Slopes. Technically it seems similar to Riding the Clutch. So, is it a good practice to use the clutch bite point while launching the car at a steep slope.

So, I'll try to put two technique in picture.
    1) Clutch Pedal all In, Brake All In, Little Gas and maintain the RPM to about 1.5-2k. Release the Clutch Pedal to bite point, the release brake and let the car steady gain forward momentum.
    2) Clutch Pedal all In, Brake All In. Release the Clutch Pedal to bite point. Then release the brake. The bite point should hold the car in place without the brake. Then slowly add gas and slowly release the clutch as the car gain momentum.

I can understand both the technique is riding the clutch, but which will be more easy on the clutch?
    I personally prefer not using the Handbrake, though there is an easier technique using the handbrake. Opinions and Suggestions will be highly appreciated.
    joeswatmail likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Sapam Congratulations.
    Your punto looks great with that chrome.
    Follow the technique which you are comfortable. Using handbrakes gives cushion when you try to move car forward on a steep incline , the point when you move right leg from brake pedal to accel pedal, which is also the same like you mentioned in 1 & 2.
    All matter is life of the components.
  7. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Test drive a 1.2 GP in 2nd gear in the ghat section and let us know. ;)

Rajeev
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Rajeev is that common for all petrol cars? I never driven petrol car.I saw one of the Honda Jazz who was cruising from Kumta to Hubli on plain roads. When the ghat section arrived his car was struggling alot. I didn't saw him again in my RVM.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Not for all, but other car which can match is MS Ritz, I think i don't have to specify the reason :)
    I had many trips across Maharashtra in my humble 1.2, never felt it under-powered once I mastered 'How to drive a FIAT'.

Rajeev
    prabhjot and Ganges like this.
  10. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Congrats @Sapam for the magnesio grey mini rocket. I always thought that Fiat has put too much chrome (to my liking) on Evo but it's looking Fab on this color. ~500 Kms is 3 days and trips on highway aptly demonstrates your finding reasons to drive it! It truly embodies the spirit of Fiat. Keep revving.
    sandipan_r15 and prabhjot like this.