1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Stallion stalled on a highway

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by srivatsahg, Nov 16, 2015.

1. srivatsahg

srivatsahg Timido

Bangalore
    Hello

Yesterday evening, On my way back from my native my Punto 90MJD just completely shut off. Fortunately I was near a toll booth at the time I was doing nothing more than 20km/hr on Bangalore Pune Highway. It gave a little squeaking sound and died all of a sudden. Luckily there were few good people who were able to push my car to the side of the road without getting rear ended by another vehicle. Such sudden loss of power on a highway would surely have resulted in an unfortunate event.

The vehicle just gave insufficient oil pressure warning and conked off abruptly. I tried starting it but it just didn't advance past the cranking sound. As my vehicle didn't give any other sort of warning, no smoke under the bonnet, no oil leak, no engine overheating warning, I opened the hood and checked for oil level with the dipstick and found it was nothing out of ordinary. The oil level was just OK. The lower flat part of the dipstick was well coated with oil soot mix with no rough feel to it when I rubbed between my fingers.

After 10 minutes, I tried turning the ignition key ON and now the MID was showing Engine, Oil leak and Battery lights ON. Without waiting, I called up a towing guy. As I was with my family and on top, it was dark and raining. I thought it was best to get my car towed back home and then think about what went wrong.

So here I am asking all of you to assist me before I make a call and go to FIAT ASC.
    • My vehicle has done ~87000 kms.
    • Last service done at ~65000 with all the clutch and timing belt replacement made as per FIAT recommendation for 60K service.
    Yes, you read it right I have not serviced it since 65K i.e. close to 22K kms.
    I admit that's a mistake on my part and there's no excuse.

My worst fear is the FIAT ASC simply looting me in the name of Engine replacement. etc with a huge bill estimate. Kindly let me know what are the things I should be prepared for before they open up the engine assembly and ensure that I'm not fleeced in addition to what needs replacement.

Please please respond asap
    Thanks in advance
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    You didnt change the oil in between for 22 k kms ? I too have not visited FASS since around 28 k kms.. But I have got oil changed 6 times by now.

First thing, try to change the engine oil + filter. and give it a go. Normal mineral oil should do.
  3. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    First let fiat guys diagnose the problem and let us know what they have to say. One delayed oil change cant make the engine go kaput, have some patience and let them check it out.

do keep us posted.
  4. srivatsahg

srivatsahg Timido

Bangalore
    Sure guys, FIAT RSA have taken the car. I'll keep you guys updated for the happenings.
    gklc811 likes this.
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Get the diesel filter, oil filter and oil changed first before you proceed further. Issue could be a clogged filter too. But the 22k kms on the same oil does not give me any positive vibes though. If gets sorted out with just the diesel filter, oil filter and oil change consider yourself to be very lucky.

PS: If you take care of your car, the car will take care of you in return. Simple but very important principle.
    zenwalker, ViPr, Raaz and 2 others like this.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    any updates on status of car
  7. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I hope it's just a filter issue as @nkrishnap pointed out. Good luck buddy lets be positive.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    It looks like oil levels have gone too low. Could be sump leak or could also be a slow dying turbo issue. And please oh please do not push cars on Semi-Synth Selenia WR5W40 for more than 10k kms. I do not have hard proof but there is enough evidence on the forum and from my friends at FASS that MJDs die premature (more like develop issues) inspite of regular oil changes esp. those that are going at 15k schedules etc. Remember your engine oil also lubricates the sensitive Turbo and the so much stressed valves and lifters too.

To my friends hard pressed of time, please keep a one litre bottle of oil to top up and always a filter or two, which you can change at 8-10k kms atleast. It is a very crucial to filter oil. Any bosch or elofic filter will do too if Ricambi Originalli FASS OEM is a long way to collect.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  9. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    The issue is diagnosed to be bigger. The values are assumed to be bent and a quote of 1.5L was provided by FASS.
    Srivats has moved the car now to BOSH service center where he has some contacts, so that he can take a second opinion and possibly get the job done at a much better price.
    We need to wait for further updates from him on the progress.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Raaz likes this.
  10. ViPr

ViPr Amatore

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Srivats sorry to hear about that. Where are you staying in Bangalore? If interested I can suggest you a local but very experienced mechanic for one more opinion. He is located near Shell Fuel Station on Virthur Road. I have seen him working on many engines from different brands including multijets in-and-out whenever I used to go to that garage for washing.