1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Squealing sound from Front Left side suspension

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Herbie, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    ..looks like i am into something really long with this one. :A

Whenever i turn my steering full left or full right (especially the situation is encountered on those circular ramps leading to parking levels in shopping malls )
    i get that faint sqealing sound from the front left side suspension/wheel area .

i have gone by now atleast 3-4 times to them to sort this out but to no avail :(.
    they did whatever possible---

- visual inspection after lifting my baby up the ramp.
    - checking the bolts etc. tightening wherever required.
    - they tied some cables together with some plastic tie. apparently they thought that they might be touching the wheel when turning fully.
    - tire alignment checked. (they have maintained the pull towards left though as insited by FIAT as a safety measure)
    - Front left side alloys swapped with a rear one and checked aswell.
    - and yeah they initially thought tat some pressure drop might be there in side the power steering motor hence the sound so they checked the power steering pipes and found it to be leaking and they replaced the same aswell but still the sqealing sound continues.

They told me to drive a bit more and come back if the problem still persists.....:(

but NOW WHATTTT :( :( as its still there.

GUYS HELP ME OUT...

PS.-- Whenever they test it by agressively turning the steering fully again and again :-o to check... the sound diminishes to minimal lvl of sorts...but again put her to rest for some time...its back again. The squealing sound happens while in motion and does not show up while at halt.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

check out the power steering pipe change pics in this thread...
    http://www.teamfiat.co.in/minor-issues-questions/2668-smell-ac-vents-2.html
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    had couple of visits to TATA motors worli with no success so far in the diagnosis, they had advocated me to have some more run with my vehicle to see if the problem goes away but no respite with problem thus far :(
    spoke to them last week but the senoir guy who handles FIAT cars is on leave, hence on my way to fortune motors thane to get the problem diagnosed(hopefuly). (though i am not going to get it rectified with them coz its a TATA motors left over job which they may have to get it repaired free of cost for me).

meanwhile researched online for solutions to similar problems.... here are some of them..

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG Capture3.JPG
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Did u get the wheel bearing checked or sometimes it can also be due to tire noise.
  4. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    thanks...i got the problem sorted out finally!! The left side strut mount screw was loose, i twas tightened and the squealing sound has since dissapeared. Its been almost 2 weeks now...didnt update coz i was not sure...wasnted to drive a bit more to check if the problem comes back...but thankfully its gone, phew!

---------- Post added at 12:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

and yes the thing was rectified by Fortune motors Thane. :up (and they didnt charge me!)
    They started off with the similar set of nut/bolt checks that TATA motors did under the car but only difference being they also checked the strut mount screw inside the bonnet after opening the plastic part that coveres it.
  5. Strut mount need about 3Kgm torque to tighten it properly and get it aligned to center as there about 1 mm gap between hole and bolt.
  6. Herbie

Herbie Regolare

Bombay
    Grande Punto 1.4
    thanks bro, though the thing was manually tightened... i will get it checked once again on my visit tomrw for an appointment to flash the ECU setting for HVAC stuff.
  7. Also don't forget to align it to the center and tightening it.
    1 person likes this.