1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Squeaking sound from front left side

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Ravi_M, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,

My Linea Emotion MJD, May 2012 model, has been making slight "squeaking" sound sometimes while passing over undulations on road. I had noticed this more than a year ago, but it was faint and was not heard always (maybe when my attention is elsewhere). I had indicated this to the service assistant last year during trial drives and he had agreed to look into, but I didn't follow it up. Same situation is prevailing. During last week-end when I went there to get molded mud-flaps, I raised this issue. They showed somewhat reluctance saying that there isn't any oil leak (which is covered in Ext Warranty). On my insistence, they clicked some pictures for sending to get approval. There is no change in the driving dynamics as far as I can notice.

Can someone guide in this regard?
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi,

No one to share similar experience & suggest possible reason?

I have skimmed through Technical section of the forum and saw many "squeakers", but couldn't find any one answering!

Update from my side is that FASC has told me that they shall inform me in 3-4 days once they get clearance to change the shock-up (?) / shock-absorber or some packing item (?) under extended warranty. Lets see.

I have started noticing the squeaking from right front too, but the sound (from either side) comes when the undulation is shallow and we pass it at normal speed (say 40-50).

Any taker?
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 12, 2015 ---
    MODS may shift this thread to already existing one, is that helps.
  3. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    The struts might be the culprits. I've been dealing with this for a long long time and kept getting them resolved too. But in my case the noise used to come when I go over big undulations. Get the FASS guys convinced someway that the shocks need to be replaced and don't allow them to put any temporary dampener setup (They do this everytime).
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @vayfiat, Thanx for reply.

Update from my side: I called FASC last week and they told to wait for a day. Finally I wrote an email to Fiat Service giving the details. They (FCA) replied on Sat asking for my contact no. which I sent them promptly. I got another reply from FCA stating that the local FASC shall sort the issue and I should not worry. Now I am waiting for the call from FASC. I may call them tomorrow.

As you mentioned @vayfiat, the SA always spoke about either replacing shock-absorber or some packing. As you advised, I shall insist for shocks.

Ravi_M
    vayfiat likes this.
  5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Update:
    I got call from Indore FASC on June 25 informing that FCA has approved the shock-abs job under Ext Warranty. Soon after, I got a call from FCA and he took the Indore FASC into conference and it was agreed that I would take the car to FASC in the following week. This is third instance of FCA approving some part replacement under Ext Wrnty after writing to then, 2 for my car and 1 for a colleague's Punto.

I took the car to FASC on last Tuesday and they did the job. However, I had another issue for their attention and yours too, as follows-

I have noticed increased engine sound at low RPMs for past few months, particularly while taking our the car from garage (reverse). This is also noticed when I am in 1-2 gear. Once this was attended by tightening some thing in engine bay (I don't know what, but they attended the air-filter etc). Later, the sound increased again. This a low pitch sound, as if some part is vibrating at low RPM.

As I had asked FASC to check this thoroughly this time, the SA did so and informed me last Friday that hose of turbo was leaking (he replaced it) and that the idler (tensioner) unit needs to be replaced. It is causing the sound. He told that he asked for approval, but this is refused by FCA under Ext Wrnty (again). He also told that the part would take a week to come through their channel. I discussed about the part with SA and understood what it is. I asked him about possibility of getting it from Pune through personal means. We agreed to meet on Saturday and sort this. I then shot an email same day before lunch to FCA and asked reg Ext Wrnty for this part and some way to send the part in 2-3 days as I need the car for going to Mumbai on coming Friday.

I got a surprise when against my expectation, FCA replied my email at 1740 hrs same day, but with no useful info. They attached soft copy of Ext Wrnty booklet (I have my own) and informed that they local dealer shall look into supply of the part.

I visited the FASC on Sat and they checked if Bhopal dealer has the part, bu to no avail. They told that I can go ahead and get the part myself and provided me the part no. I contact my niece at Pune and she bought the part from Pandit Auto at Bawdhan Budruk and has dispatched by courier service and I may get it this afternoon.

Your comments? The SA told me that bearing of the wheel in the Idler (or tensioner?) is bad and therefore it is not covered under Ext Wrnty. I shall check what reply FCA has given to FASC. I shall also check it FASC has replaced the left Shocks or not. I hope to give this update tomorrow.

Waiting for experts' comments.

Ravi
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I was hoping to get comments from experts / those with similar issues.

Latest update -

In addition to idler, the coolant pump was replaced. This went bad after the problems of oil mixing in coolant three months ago. They could sort the louder low RPM sound problem after these changes. The turbo hose pipe was also leaking and was replaced and this improved the pick-up noticeably.

Any comments? I hope this information may help members, when in need.

Ravi
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    With improved pick-up and reduced noise levels, I did a Indore-Mumbai-Mahabaleshwar-Mumbai-Indore trip during July 10-18. Very comfortable and trouble-free drive both ways. Covered around 1700+ km. Average mileage per litre (FT to FT method):
    Indore-Mumbai trip - 16.5 km/l,
    Mumbai-Mahblshwr-Mumbai - 15.5 km/l
    Mumbai-Indore - 19.5 km/l
    Car display gave overall 18.7 km/l average mileage.

I am happy with the performance and am now planning to visit Tamil Nadu during Diwali. May visit FASC at Vellore.

Ravi
    kookaburra likes this.
  8. kookaburra

kookaburra Amatore

Pune
    Good to know that your problems have been fixed.

Last month I too experienced a noise coming from left shocker whenever there was a rough road.
    Initially i thought it could be a major issue with shock absorber and didn't move my car for 10 days from the parking.

Took the car to Pandit Auto, Pune.
    To my surprise, it was a problem with loose link rod.
    Got it fixed in 5 mins and drove away!