1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Squeaking (or) whistling noise, from the hood.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by carzinger, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Hi friends, Last week i gave my car for washing including the underchassis. Everything was good until i found out that there is a squeaking sound when i start the engine as well as when i switch it off.. Initially i thought it might be due to the water wash and i didnt gave much thought about it, hoping that it will vanish. I dont know whether the issue was due to washing or some other long term wear.. My car has clocked 43000 kms. I have given for underchassis wash many a times before but didnt come across anything like this. Now the sound didnt seem to vanish even after travelling for more than 50 kms. Sad thing is, the sound is more wudible now, especially from outside, and the sound persists even when in neutral and also running at slow speeds. Its like squeaking or whistling kind noise. I am unable to take my car to service centre, due to my work constraints. Also, i have to travel to either chennai or trichy ( i am in chidambaram) to service. I just wanted to know what might be the issue in my car, from our TFI members, so that i can talk with the service centre guys when i go for servicing, and also whether i can run the car with this problem. Actually i travelled more than 50kms with the issue.. The car is running good except the noise. Expecting your valuable inputs.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Probably one of the engine belts which got wet during the wash. Last month the Palio D went through a big-ish puddle of water resulting in belt squeaking. Still doing it to this day. Might have to scrub the pulleys clean or replace the belt.

Cheers.
  3. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    My suspicion is also on the belt, from my previous experience (on a WagonR)
  4. Thanks for the reply. Even i was doubting that. But even after a week, it still persists. How to come out of this? The noise is really irritating. Any suggestions. Anyhow i have to give my car for servicing. Its nearing 45k. Will servicing get rid of the sound or any parts have to be changed?
  5. How much would be the cost to replace the belt?
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Just ask the service guy to take a look when the car goes for servicing.

Till then just drive as usual.

Cheers.
  7. Now i started the car and kept in idling for five minutes then drove for half a kilometer and stopped it. I noticed a bad smell from the exhaust.. Usually there will be some smell. But now the smell is more and everyone can notice it. I opened the hood and saw. But the smell there was not so much like from the exhaust.. Also i noticed that, when i slightly press the engine top cover, the sound vanishes.. When i take back thehand, the sound comes again.. Confiused.. Any suggestions please.