1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Spoiler - OEM and Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by omzworld, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I lost few letter in the rear emotion badge, since then i moved carbon fiber sticker.
    There is no right or wrong here, things can happen but question few hundred rupees to Rs 4000,which one you are ready risk.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I was talking about the Fiat badge too. The lettered monograms can fall due to pressure applied when cleaning that area.

There are 'n' other items in our cars that are held by double sided tape BTW.

I would not take blanket statements like they would fall off, etc. from people who have never used this method of installation, with due respect.

Manufacturer themselves have given this method of installation for the new spoilers and I suppose that seals it.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Wash and clean the contact area with IPA and use 3M automotive grade double side tape and all will be well.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  4. Are Yarr, if you think I haven't tried 3M tapes or double sided tapes what can I say?
    Look at this picture flexible DRL fell off during drive it came with 3M tapes only, it is called bulls Led in ebay you can see all sides for confirmation.

52871d1380793681-led-daytime-running-lights-punto-active-img_20131002_105700.jpg

later i had fix this one
    53219d1381382874-improving-looks-punto-img_20131009_105114.jpg

Damage to pockets was Rs720+1100 for new DRL's.

I am not writing here based on some one's hearsay, I don't appreciate you describing my post as blanket statement and dismissing it rather than giving it thought if not thanking.
    Any way it's your car and your money, I am out of this.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    @Sat - The most important step is to clean the contact area of dust and grime thoroughly before sticking to ensure proper adhesion. I have used IPA to clean with spectacular results on my Palio.

Rajan
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Let's have a healthy discussion rather than arguments, Sat-Chit-Ananda.

There is a method for installation. Did you follow the same?

• First, the area should be cleaned thoroughly.
    • Then, you can gently sand the area to roughen it.
    • Clean the surface with IPA, as Rajan has specified. The instruction sheet provided with the spoiler mentions the same, they call it primer and they have provided two of those tissue kind of things with the spoiler kit.
    • Then, heat the surface with a hair dryer.
    • And finally, aim and stick it. Apply firm and even pressure and leave it untouched for atleast two hours.

If you had followed the above steps and still your LEDs fell, I doubt if the tapes were 3M.
  7. @DRIV3R,

One has to treat others similar to treating themselves to expect the same from others.Okay i stop here.
    Since you want it healthy, i stay healthy.You can bash me up on PM if you would like,let us keep the forum out of it.

I did not do the sanding part but cleaning yes,it was done, these steps were also mentioned by seller.
    Click on this url see the third picture, it is a 3M tape.You can also see i tried fixing it with screw later but it did not look good.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Sat - If you don't mind my asking - Was this the standard white DS tape or was it the brown coloured DS tape? The white tape is not meant for outdoor use.

Rajan
  9. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I, for one, make use of 3M double sided tapes for many reasons wherever possible. They look neat and they are strong. They eliminate the need for drilling.

My license plates are also stuck with 3M double sided tape, and they are no signs of it coming off even after 18 months of use. The spoiler was stuck with 3M double sided tapes in the 75HP before 15 months, they are still holding up well.

And now, FIAT themselves are recommending this method of installation for the spoiler. IN fact, even the roof rail accessory for the Punto is stuck with 3M double sided tape, now how is that?

Tough luck with the DRLs, am sorry for that.
    1 person likes this.
  10. it was slightly brown on paper and sticker color was almost black.

3M seems to work for your stars but my birth star has issue with it what to do, I need to visit a astrologer:)
    See 3M tapes don't like my name too:)
    IMG_20131018_134444.jpg
    1 person likes this.