1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Spine chilling :100,000 people died inroad in year 2010.

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Apr 21, 2011.

1. India leads world in road deaths: WHO

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...op-road-deaths-Pillai/articleshow/8042536.cms
    100,000 people died inroad in year 2010.

Dipak Kumar Dash, TNN, Aug 17, 2009, 04.10am IST
    NEW DELHI: In a dubious distinction for the country, the World Health Organization has revealed in its first ever Global Status Report on Road Safety that more people die in road accidents in India than anywhere else in the world, including the more populous China.
    Calling road fatalities an "epidemic" that will become the world's fifth biggest killer by 2030, the report said while rich nations had been able to lower their death rates, these were sharply on the rise in the third world. It said 90% of deaths on the world's roads occur in low and middle-income countries (21.5 and 19.5 per lakh of population, respectively) though they have just 48% of all registered vehicles.

The statistics for India are chilling. At least 13 people die every hour in road accidents in the country, the latest report of the National Crime Records Bureau reveals. In 2007, 1.14 lakh people in India lost their lives in road mishaps — that's significantly higher than the 2006 road death figures in China, 89,455.
    Road deaths in India registered a sharp 6.1% rise between 2006 and 2007. However, road safety experts say the real numbers could be higher since many of these accident cases are not even reported. "There is no estimate of how many injured in road accidents die a few hours or days after the accident," points out Rohit Baluja, member of the UN Road Safety Collaboration and Commission of Global Road Safety representing Asia.
    The report, based on 2006 and 2007 statistics collected from 178 participating countries, said globally over 1.2 million people die in road accidents every year and 20-25 million people suffer non-fatal injuries.
    Baluja said both central and state governments, while pushing for construction of more highways and roads, were doing precious little to make them safe. "We don't have scientific traffic engineering which forms the basis of road safety improvement practised in US and UK since 1930s. This still remains a matter of consultancy in India as we are yet to have our own traffic engineering wings," Baluja adds.
    In fact, the report shows while only 3,298 people died in road accidents in UK in 2006, the figure, at 42,642, was much higher in the US.
    The report pointed to speeding, drinking-driving and low use of helmets, seat belts and child restraints in vehicles as the main contributing factors. In 2004, road accidents was the top ninth cause of death in 2004.
    -Sat
  2. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    All because of Negligible and Rash driving, traffic cops should stop taking bribes thats the only thing it the death toll will decrease.
  3. I was driving down from Pondicherry to Chennai (around 162 kms) today on the ECR after 7 pm . None of the Government buses & taxis dip their beam in the night.
    I found it very tough to negotiate the bends (as this road is full of bends and curves).

Most of the accidents are caused by such negligence on the part of the drivers. How do we educate the masses ??
    There should be strict discipline enforced by our rulers.
  4. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    bnzjon, its same everywhere. I guess people think driving with High beam is a style statement. I so hate such people.
  5. In the city, i never switch on the highbeams but i do it on the highways. Whenever i see an automobile in the opposite direction, i dip to low beam. The law brakers are the Govt Buses, Politicians in Sumo & Scorpio & Call Taxis.
  6. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    People dont have a knowledge at all, they donno when to put the Hibeam, some of them even donno the switch to operate they just switch it on and leave it as it is.....