1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Speedometer is not working in my Punto!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Rajarshi, May 6, 2013.

1. Rajarshi

Rajarshi Amatore

Kolkata
    Hi Guys,

Sometimes the speedometer of my Punto is not working and sometimes it works! Its can happens at anytime and especially when the engine is hot. I had visited to the workshop and the workshop guy told me that the defective parts needs to be changed(though i forget the name of the parts) and its costs around 300 rupees. When i asked him to change it he said that for this he has to open the entire clutch system and then he can change it!! The cost would be around 3000 (2.5k for labor and 300 for the parts) Is that true?
    Also the MID telling me the avg fuel consumption is 8.6 km/l!!! This is weird as i am getting much more than this. Is this happening for this faulty parts? or something else!! Please advice guys.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    The plastic gears to which Vehicle Speed Sensor connects inside the gearbox would have to be changed. The whole gearbox would have to come down and ASS would perform complete surgery on it by opening all gears and synchronizes. How much km's have your car done.

The parts that have to be changed are
    0046401452 Gear 1 326.49
    0007754074 Speedo Gear 1 364.04
    0059064670L Trans. Oil SYNT 1.8 lt 792.00 (Better to change it)
    NPN234 ANA BOND 25 35.25 (For sealing gearbox)

Labor 1800/-

Avg Consumprion, Speedometer and Odometer reading become way off due to all this. My car was speedo was jumping from 0-200 and odometer was showing 6 kms while in reality I drove more than 400 kms
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  3. Rajarshi

Rajarshi Amatore

Kolkata
    Thanks a lot Vijay.. The information you gave is very very helpful. I will ask the person to change it...
  4. Arkin

Arkin Amatore

How common is this issue with Punto/Linea ?
  5. Iru

Iru

Mumbai.
    My Linea has this problem. Some trips the speedometer just does not ready (stuck at '0' zero), and some trips it just suddenly starts to register. Its a regular occurence and I always find out when the doors dont lock automatically and its quite a mood damper. Also, because of this problem i feel that the Odometer is not able to build its reading (not sure if the Odo is connected to the speedometer, or, relies on it for its reading). The AVG CONSUMPTION that the MDI shows is 5.6 :( and im sure the faulty speedometer reading has a part to play.
    Seems like the only way to fix this is to take it to the official service center.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Get the gearbox sensor cable connection checked by FIAT. Will be a simple fix.

Cheers.
  7. ADA

ADA Timido

Coimbatore
    Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    My Linea has this problem. The car has done 94,000 kms and yesterday the speedometer stopped working. After sometime it started to work and then again stopped. Sometimes while turning the ignition 'ON' the speedometer comes to zero potion and sometimes it doesn't move at all and is below zero. In either case the speedometer doesn't work ie.. stays at zero or below zero while driving.

Took it to the service center and the service adviser told me that a part has to be replaced inside the Gearbox and it would take 2 days to dismantle the whole gearbox and fix it. Costing approx Rs 5500. I was dumbstruck when i head this, what?? 5500 for a speedometer issue. I wouldn't mind driving without the speedometer, but then the KM wouldn't work and then it would affect the periodic services :-(

So i have no alternate than shell out this kind of money?
  8. jayadev.m4u

jayadev.m4u Amatore

Vijayawada
    @ ADA check the sensor first. I had the same issue a while back and the sensor was the culprit. It cost me about 1,200/- (approx)
  9. rajgopal82

rajgopal82 Timido

chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi all, my punto 2010 diesel speedometer stopped working, but what surprises me is that the acceleration response is very quick. Because normally there was lag in speed response for given acceleration.
    Is the related to turbo??
  10. ADA

ADA Timido

Coimbatore
    Coimbatore
    Linea 1.3
    After writing to Fiat and again checking it out at the service center, they said it was a fault inside the gearbox. Finally had to replace a Plastic Gear that had got smudged inside the gearbox. The labor alone costed about 3700 after a 15% discount! the part was much cheaper :(