1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Speed Limit for New Car??

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Pravin Ebenezer N, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Pravin Ebenezer N

Pravin Ebenezer N Timido

Chennai, India
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Dear Friends,

I am new to this forum and new to premium hatchback car. Earlier I used Zen Estilo for 7 years and sold it.

Recently I booked Punto EVO 90 HP Red. VIN number ended with CHZ. I may get the new car by next weekend.

People around me are advising to limit the speed and stop/halt continues driving for at least 2 months. In olden days we used to do the trick for two wheelers (like speed 40 and stop engine every 30 to 40 kms during continues running for 1st 1000 kms)

Is there any limitation for this car? whether do I need to set speed limit and stop/halt continues driving?

I am planning for a long driver from Chennai to Coimbatore and Ooty by this month end.

Your advise is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pravin
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Welcome to the forum, Pravin.

Officially Fiat Engines do not need to be run-in to limit the speed. But, it is better practice to limit at least till 1500 kms. You are absolutely fine to do long drive rightaway. Just make sure that you accelerate slowly and don't do any sudden and hard acceleration.

Enjoy your Fiat and drive. :)
    asimpleson likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Also get the gear ratios (shifts at right times) embedded in your drive sooner. In simpler terms the MJDs like gears 3rd, 4th and 5th and feels comfortable to drive so move quicker to 3rd at minimum. Least amount of lugging that is. From petrol to this diesel you may not like the transition immediately. But the car and engine will kinda grow on you as you keep driving it more. I find most petrols except T-JET not so fun now after driving all those Fiat diesels on highways all these years.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  4. Pravin Ebenezer N

Pravin Ebenezer N Timido

Chennai, India
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks Ram and Asim!!

I am planning to set maximum speed 100km... is that fine?? or I need to reduce little down..
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Absolutely fine. Have a safe drive.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Pravin,
    I would request you to have a limit on the rpm and its better not to cross 2500 rpm for the number of kilometers suggested already. You should be able to hit 100 km/hr a little below 2000rpm and you can easily cruise from there on. The engine takes its sweet time to build momentum and overtaking do require a downshift so as rightly pointed out by fellow members you will take a little time to get adjusted.
    I did a 900km run on a less than 1000km old engine and you can find the details on page 7 from my thread below. Iam sure it will give you some ease before the drive.

http://www.teamfiat.com/index.php?threads/13852/
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @Pravin Ebenezer N

There is no need for the start/stop driving style in the new cars with the latest technology. Ensure that you dont overwork the engine in the initial days since the engine is new and hasn't been driven for long. Maintain rpm levels upto 25000 for the first 1k kms and once the engine is free, you can start revving freely. Any unknown issue in the car should not get aggrevated by the free spirited driving right from the start. Take it slowly and enjoy the drive.
  8. drknaresh

drknaresh Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    @ghodlur , correction, its 2500rpm, not 25000 rpm.. Must be typo:happy:
  9. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Oops Sorry. A typo indeed. Thanks for correction.
    drknaresh likes this.
  10. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    I had taken my TJet on NH1 within a week or 10 days and kept it around 100+. Haven't seen any issues till not after owning it for 6 months now. I do however let the turbo idle for a minute or so after each city drive without any exception whatsoever and do not accelerate hard for a few kms while starting a drive. On highways, I let the turbo idle for atleast 2-3 minutes after a spirited drive. this has kept the TJet and its turbo in good stead.
    PradeepM likes this.