1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Speculation :Punto dropped by FIAT in europe as a part of their revival plan.

Discussion in 'Fiat Global News' started by Iluvpunto, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    As per the article published on another Auto forum, Fiat plans European revival, drops Punto | Team-BHP Fiat has decided to discontinue the production of their best seller Punto in EUROPE. It makes sense in Europe as this model has been out there for quite some time, to be precise 20 Years. If this is going to have any effect on the plans of Fiat India, We Fiatians have a cause for worry I believe. Punto was launched in India in 2009 and a life of just 4 years for such a brilliant car is not at all acceptable for a Fiat fan. And we never received, any refreshed or facelifted models here apart from few changes like increased GC and New versions. Now it would be interesting to see if Fiat India wants to bring us new versions of punto which is no more in their international line of offering. I hereby create this thread to discuss this with fellow Fiatians and get myself consoled that punto will stay in the market for some more time from now.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. dnyanesh666

dnyanesh666

Mumbai
    I believe it should not affect the Indian line up. Or may be rebadging the Punto's replacement in Europe as a Punto in India some years down the line could also make sense.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Firstly, there is not one official announcement in this regard. Some comments made by an "insider" @ FIAT SpA have been picked up eagerly by all auto blogs around the world.

Secondly, even if FIAT does stop production of the Punto in Europe, it's a no-issue for the Indian market. FIAT India is already selling the outdated Punto here in India with a refresh planned in 2014. So, they can easily sell that refresh for the next couple of years at the very least.

The Punto is being sold in Europe since the time of Moses. If it cannot evolve or meet the needs of the market, it has to go. That's what happens in the Automotive industry. Legends come and go:)

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  4. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    As per the article, they are planning to have a 5 door version of Fiat 500 to replace punto.
  5. ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com

ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com Amatore

Vadodara , Nashik
    Vadodara , Nashik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Agreed Gurjinder .. each product has a life cycle ... 10 years is what a product life-cycle is estimated while designing any product... Obviously
    they have plans of face lift and all ... but after 10 years most of the companies tend to come up with new platform altogether ...

- - - Merged Post - - -

Even tough if FIAT dose it .. Punto being so popular in Europe they can any time bring it back with all new design after few years with Punto badge on it , Similar way what VW did with beetle and Mahindra with Thar... This has definitely boosted their sales.. Same story will
    be repeated with Punto also (in Europe market)
    1 person likes this.
  6. gazgotta

gazgotta Amatore

Namma Bengaluru
    Namma Bengaluru
    Grande Punto 1.2
    FIATs plan to dump Punto may be limited for the European markets at present according to the news , but I am not sure
    how and when it will affect FIATs strategy in India. I hope it doen't affect (but I assume it will ).

At least, for the prospective Punto buyers in India this news is not so encouraging and will
    create negative mood. Although FIAT has announced its India plans for 2014 already and a face lifted
    punto is on the cards in Mid of 2014 , but market dynamics does change and the FIATs plans
    to drop the Punto in Europe is attributed to the loss and declining market share in European market which is very
    true for even Indian market as well(worse here may be..).

Official clear-cut news from FIAT about Indian plans for the punto is what that is needed to
    console the Punto's fans who were waiting for updated version and current customers. These kind of half-baked
    rumors/news will only add to worries of the FIAT which is already struggling to sell this fantastic
    machine to customers.

FIAT India Must clarify and communicate to its fans clearly.
    Being a Punto admirer its sad to see that this news is surely affecting,
    2 of my friends(who were not interested in any other model) have removed punto from their radar who were waiting for the updated models in 2014.

India has always been a dump yard for out dated models for all the global players, who keep dumping the
    out dated models to Indian customers. I hope this improves , but I think it will not happen any time soon until competition in the Indian market
    pulls these makers to compete on global models in India.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Gazgotta,

You are new to the scene. Rumors surrounding FIAT plans , new car launches , shutdown, bankruptcy and what not have been running since 2010. :evilsmile

Don't give it so much thought and energy.
    2 people like this.
  8. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    No way FIAT is going to discontinue Punto in Europe its a up selling model with good demand in the markets..
  9. ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com

ashish.r.shinde@gmail.com Amatore

Vadodara , Nashik
    Vadodara , Nashik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Punto was launched in India in 2008 , and its ruling the European market since last 20 years ... So India should not worry with the companies
    Europe decisions , both markets are different and have altogether a different potentials ...
    1 person likes this.
  10. abhiiceman

abhiiceman Amatore

Bangalore