1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Speaker upgrade for a LINEA MJD.

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by jishnu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    @paddleshifter- Very true!! But my dad is an electrical engineer, so he does all this job..So it'll be easy for him! :)
  2. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    there is no rocket science . . i figured out the audio signal path through manufacturer data sheet and pulled out a wire. only thing to be cautious while you finger it is do not short circuit any other circuit track " else it is a simplest job one can do. no alteration or modification .

regarding last pic. that is for remote on/off for subwoofer or auxilary amps. so that when head unit is off everything remains off. no more additional switch or turning off manually.
  3. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    @jayadev- I'm very strong in electronics, so i'll ask my dad to do that! :D hehe!!
  4. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    @paddleshifter- Do you mean this??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  5. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    great ones jayadev, its a very professional job which you are doing it with quite an ease.
    so you are basically taking the pre outs from the pcb so that they are RCA out for amplifier?
    What will the voltage on the rca be ?

the quality of PCB is good, but that doesnt mean the OEM hu sounds good. it lacs basic functions like sub out, frequency split for components and woofers, HPF, LPF everything.
    it can never be compared even to the basic low priced players in market.
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3

Alone goin by the quality of PCB, its a rather bold statement to make.

Harmony & Choas
  7. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
  8. Italia-Linea

Pune
  9. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    i mean no offense to anybody. quality of pcb and component used can sure tell how much worth is an electronic device.(at least i can unless there is some internal flaw )
    the function like sub out, frequency split for components and woofers, HPF, LPF is everything derived from normal head unit or rca.if you people believe adding those outlets make your amp sound better ????.

rca level would be almost standard for all modern circuits . because age old tape players and phono are no more for multiple standards . generaly power amps have gain of 30db for rca level feed and that is common practice almost in every circuit unless those cheap chinese or weird japanese dont show up with something extraordinary.

if i had to take all the output from back of HU it must has 6 discrete channels as in my home sacd player with attenuation and time alignment..!!!!

i fed my diy rca to stereo amps 2x60 watts. powering polk dba comps. the stereo amp rca out is fed to sony monoblock amp. the remaining mixing and EQs would be done in amp.

for overall sound equlaisation you have user eq in oem HU . whats more is required??
    then there is four channel outlet ,bass treble control,and a balance cum fader more than useful for any stereo audio component. we are not dealing with 5.1 dts or dolby digital tracks.(if you have dts or dolby digital head units then punto linea is too small for a great listening time.)

i usually listen flat. to hear flat i had to tweak gain in amps and in comps .now in my punto it sounds very good.(not as good as my listening room but good enough)

if somebody asks for bit boom boom. tweak user eq for high bass and increase the bass to +6 ...isn't that sufficient???

if you guys expect great sound from lpf,sub out split tracks rca et al behind those rs20k hu then i dont know how much they are all worth.

did anybody mention hi to low convertors make good sounding solution then i say it can never as long as you take the feed from speaker line.
  10. Italia-Linea

Pune
    no one is saying quality of the components is bad. no doubt a blaupunkt HU will be good in quality

its about the quality of sound produced. even a basic pioneer HU worth 5k beats it. i can prove this in practical 1000 times to anyone.

yes it provides better control on overall sound listening experience. for example when you have 3 PRE outs out of which one is dedicated sub out one can easily achieve perfect sound stage.

i.e HPF, frequencies 80hz and above to play from front components and rear speakers if any and LPF i.e say frequencies 80hz and below from the sub.

Well this can be done from the amp too but any processing from Head unit itself is always better to get a clean signal to the amp.

i was asking about the voltage i.e 2volt preout or 4volt pre out on RCA. this provied match up with the voltage that amp can handle to amplify and provide good sound.

time alignment is icing on the cake. but we have it only in costly Head units.

how many RCA did you obtain from HU ? so you are powering a 2 channel amp via one of them?
    then does you amp have RCA out to feed to mono amp?

the equalizer on the OEM head unit is better left untouched. we tried so many settings on it, doesnt provide good output.

yes i too believe in setting the HU gains flat for natural sound production.

bass control is sufficient, but even a basic HU has gain settings for sub which provides more control.

this can be achieved in low priced after market HUs from pioneer, blau, JVC, kenwood too.

they are the last resort when you dont need to change the OEM hu.
    They provide the worst conversion and sound bad.

all this above experience is after trying 1000 times to achieve good sound from my Lineas OEM hu with all big audio experts from Pune and Mumbai.
    The same set up sounds amazing when i plug in my 6000rs pioneer head unit in my linea. its nirvana.

i am trying to figure out hard how i switch to aftermarket hu without loosing steering controls and blue and me.

i have very good components, one of the best amplifiers and also a very good sub. but all go in vain due to the OEM HU.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011