1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Speaker Change on my Emo Pack

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by johnny, Jul 16, 2010.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Direct stroke 90,

If you are going to use an amp, your options increase considerably - subject to your budget of course.

If budget is not a constraint, then go for Rainbow, or Focals. Both brands 'need' an amp to come alive. MTX Thunder 6000s which I used, sound good even without an amp, though an amp will definitely improve the sound quality. These cost less than the first two brands. Bull is a budget product from Rainbow. They are very good value for money and sound very good, even without an amp. Blaupunkt velocity range is also good. One brand that I did not mention is Hertz. They sound very good, but their entry level models use paper cones with foam surround - these do not last very long. I have not come across their higher end speakers which use better material.

Here I am talking about compos. For the front door, you must put compos. For the rear doors I will recommend co-axials. It is my opinion that such a combination will give you a better 'sound stage' from the driver's seat. Co-axials are considerably cheaper than compos irrespective of the brand, and this will also result in cost saving. What you must also do is to install damping on all four doors.

What is important to keep in mind is that each brand will produce sound that is quite typical. So, what you need to do is to audition the speaker amp combination with your kind of music, and then let your ears be the final judge. Expensive speakers do not necessarily translate to sound quality that you will like.

During the installation make sure that the installer does not cut any wires - if he is experienced he can do so. That will take care of your warranty clause.

Do give a feedback after your installation.

Regards

Johnny
  2. Thanks Johnny, for the update and clarity not heard of the speakers sets u have mentioned (poor know how) Someone suggested JBL Comps i had JBL in previous car they were superb but Co Axis 6"* 9" any suggestions on JBL?
  3. anthonydcruz

anthonydcruz

A, A
    Hi Johnny, could you please upload some more pictures of your speaker setup. Thanks in advance.
  4. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @anthonydcruz. Sorry, I do not have any more pictures about my set-up. The few I took during the installation, I have put up in my initial post. I can however clarify any doubts that you have.

@direct stroke90. JBLs were a conspicuous omission on my post. I am using JBLs for my home audio system, and they are very good. I picked them instead of Bose AM3. (the JBLs were slightly more expensive!). One "problem" with JBL speakers is that they like power. They definitely require an amp, and need power before, they come alive. At low volumes they sound a bit flat. However, this is purely my personal opinion. So if you have liked JBLs please audition them. Like I said, let your ears be the final judge.

About 6 x 9 co-axials; personally, I do not like elliptical speakers. In my opinion, the circular speakers give much better sound. Secondly, I do not think that you will be able to fit 6 x 9 in the doors - you will have to check with the installer. You will probably have to fit them on the parcel tray. For proper sound you will then have to fix a wooden parcel tray - once again the installer can advise you. In my opinion, fitment in the doors gives the best 'sound stage'. You can always add a sub for that extra 'thump'.

Regards
    Johnny
  5. thanks Johnny for the info, I guess will give the 6 x9 a miss don't want a mess a lot and extra wiring it will be a lil too much, i don't want a Sub, guess the speakers will be just perfect. I agree with you on the point JBL on low volumes they are a lil flat, guess will do a sound check myself to be sure.
  6. I had been rather lazy on my planned upgrade of speakers in my GP Emotion Pack. Finally I am awake and went to a couple of outlets this week.
    Threads out here, and also the other forum team-xxx was helpful. So, I am now more or less ready to go for JBL GT5 series.
    I would have got the speakers purchased myself from GP Road, but frankly I am not sure of whether I will be duped with an original fake one. :hit

So, I enquired at Xenos, Nandanam 2 days back and the pricing was ~5.4k (JBL GT5 S205 5" - 2 pairs @ 2490 per pair + spacers 2 pairs @ 400). I was not impressed as he was charging MRP for speakers though he didn't put any installation charges. Also he was against putting 6.5" S265 ones.

Today I went to Sharp Sounds off Velachery Main road (referred to in teamxxx, and the directions were spot on: just about 1 km simply straight into Cart track road (Vandikkaaran st) from Velachery Main road ). The person seemed fairly confident and approachable. After discussing with him, as promised, he called me back later with price.
    Standard cost of 500 for 2 pair of spacers + 300 installation = 800
    +
    JBL GT5 S205 - 2 pairs @ 2200 per pair- So, Total 5.2k
    or
    JBL GT5 S265 - 2 pairs @ 2300 per pair- So, Total 5.4k

I have a couple of questions though.

He said the difference in cost between GT5 S205 and GT5 S265 was just 100 Rs. But MRP in JBL india site differed by 1k !! 2490 and 3490. :-? Not sure what is happening.

I would consider going for GT5 S265C (components) instead of GT5 S265 coaxials for the front alone. (I dont got the rate if it is components. But I guess it will be around 5 to 5.5k.) So it is an increase of 3.2k when compared to the 2.3 k for coaxials. Guys, will that be worth given that I am not fitting an AMP?

Another Q being, will the tweeter coming along with the 265C fit into the present tweeter position, or I may have to place it else where? (I don't like that idea).
    I don't think I will make a later upgrade too (with an AMP).

What will I do with the existing (then-becoming-old) 20W speakers? Any market for them? ::O ::O
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    ^^
    About right time you've posted. I'm getting my front components changed tomorrow from Powerzone. I'm toying between Kicker DS 6002 and Morel Maximo, from the feedback I'm getting I'm more inclined towards Kicker as it's seems to be an all rounder. Would you want to possibly wait until you hear mine before buying the speakers for yourself?

I'm also planning to remove the rear speakers all together, get a decent amp and sub at a later date.

Also the tweeters have to be placed in a custom location to my knowledge. Reason being the OE fitting's shape, regarding the old speakers keep them wrapped and may be you can plonk them back into the car when you sell.
  8. anandlnt

anandlnt

Mysore
    @teky Tweeters at front can be fitted at OE provision itself. I got rainbow comps fitted and the tweeters at front went into the existing provision itself. No custom fitting. At the back they have to be custom installation. You can check the front comps installation pics in my thread.
  9. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi punter,

Firstly, go for compos for the front. They sound a lot better. The tweeter can be fitted into the stock location with some minor modifications which any experienced installer can manage.

Secondly, the original speakers are riveted and not screwed. The installer will have to drill through the rivets to remove the speakers. In the bargain they do get a bit messed up. I doubt whether you will be able to sell them or even refit them as "teky" said.

Lastly, in my opinion while JBLs are very good speakers, they 'need' an amp to come alive. It will be worthwhile auditioning a few other brands.

Regards
    Johnny
  10. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Thanks Anand. I've seen several installs where it had to installed at custom location and hence wasn't sure. I'll talk to my installer about this.

@Thepunter - would you like to tag along with me tomorrow?